The BEST Guide to POLAND
Unanswered  |  Archives 
 
 
User: Guest

Home / USA, Canada  % width posts: 568

Polack/American Polonia/Plastic Pole "culture"


wildrover 98 | 4,451
29 Nov 2010 #511
My goodness, you are obsessed!

You noticed it too...?
FUZZYWICKETS 8 | 1,883
29 Nov 2010 #512
Delphiandomine wrote:

American Polacks on the other hand can get lost.

Why just Poles in America? What about Plastic Mexicans? Plastic Irish? Plastic Italians? Plastic.....well....Plastic anything in America?

What makes Plastic Poles any different than the other people living in America that left their homelands to move to America for a better life? Can all of them "get lost" as well? What about my wife that spent her whole life in Poland but is now moving to America with me in January? Will she then become "Plastic"?

Delphiandomine wrote:

When you pay taxes in Poland, you can comment, sunshine.

I haven't lived in America in 4 years, thus, haven't paid any income tax. Does that exclude me from commenting about my country on this forum?

Delphiandomine wrote:

(too much time on my hands, I think)

Indeed.
PennBoy 76 | 2,437
29 Nov 2010 #513
What about my wife that spent her whole life in Poland but is now moving to America with me in January? Will she then become "Plastic"?

Like my father who left Poland in his thirties who has a strong Polish accent

I haven't lived in America in 4 years, thus, haven't paid any income tax.

Yea according to him you're probably no longer an American
Patrycja19 63 | 2,699
29 Nov 2010 #514
Why just Poles in America? What about Plastic Mexicans? Plastic Irish? Plastic Italians? Plastic.....well..

hes a plastic brit living in a plastic house , with a plastic dog and a plastic doll.. oh, I wasnt
supposed to say that... sorry del, didnt mean to give out your secret that you have a blow
up plastic living with you.. and you named her barbie. :)

What about my wife that spent her whole life in Poland but is now moving to America with me in January? Will she then become "Plastic"?

he thinks that if you dont stay and pay your taxes then you are no longer polish, and
are plastic... he thinks you should stay and fight for poland , even though no wars
are going on currently there.. yeah, I just ignore it anymore.. kinda stupid and old now
and not really worth discussing.

oh and when your wife gets here, she isnt allowed to wear clothes that have polish symbols
or eat keilbasa or anything that is polish cause she no longer pays taxes..

I dont think he realizes how stupid he sounds when he says this, but hey, if the shoe fits.

yep yep.. anyways.
FUZZYWICKETS 8 | 1,883
30 Nov 2010 #515
Patrycja19 wrote:

yeah, I just ignore it anymore.. kinda stupid and old now
and not really worth discussing.

you're probably right.
A J 4 | 1,088
30 Nov 2010 #516
That's because Nationalism is stupid. I mean, if you can't acknowledge we're all the same, stupid human beings, then you're just stupid.

:)
PennBoy 76 | 2,437
30 Nov 2010 #517
If we're all the same then why do some look down on others and protect what is theirs(material possessions, borders, national pride etc) so badly????. People point fingers saying they're "unjust, racist, selfish, paranoid " i wonder what those doing the pointing would say if they were on the defensive end. When the talk is about other nations and their possessions everyone is a liberal, funny.
Maybe 12 | 409
30 Nov 2010 #518
If we're all the same then why do some look down on others and protect what is theirs(material possessions, borders, national pride etc) so badly????

Because that is way they want us to do.

"just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they [i]aren't after you"[/i]
polishmama 3 | 279
14 Dec 2010 #519
That's because Nationalism is stupid. I mean, if you can't acknowledge we're all the same, stupid human beings, then you're just stupid.

I have always felt that celebrating Nationalist pride is in a way celebrating your ancestors, honoring them, even those from centuries past. I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as you don't hurt or offend someone else, it does no harm. You can't know where you are going until you know where you came from.

I feel saddened to hear that some think that because I was taken from Poland as a young child that I am no longer polish. As if they are better than me because my parents wanted to protect me. That's not right, either. I celebrate my heritage and part of that celebration includes celebrating what I have in common with intelligent amazing people... And some very rude ignorant people who are just mean and hurtful.

Why all the animosity in this forum? If you all hate each other so much, why not go do something else more constructive? I joined to learn more and discuss what I know about my heritage...
Eurola 4 | 1,906
14 Dec 2010 #520
kinda stupid and old now and not really worth discussing.

Exactly. I never heard the expression 'Plastic Polak" until this thread. This delphiandomine dude has some serious issues.

I feel saddened to hear that some think that because I was taken from Poland as a young child that I am no longer polish.

Girl, don't even think that. There is nothing stronger in this world than blood ties with your family and with your birth country.
FUZZYWICKETS 8 | 1,883
14 Dec 2010 #521
Eurola wrote:

There is nothing stronger in this world than blood ties with your family and with your birth country.

I found something stronger:

youtube.com/watch?v=hjUa3oU_wtY
OP delphiandomine 88 | 18,475
14 Dec 2010 #522
I celebrate my heritage

Do you know what your heritage actually is?

There is no such thing as "Polish" heritage, as the country has been a melting pot of nationalities and traditions for countless centuries.
FUZZYWICKETS 8 | 1,883
14 Dec 2010 #523
delphiandomine wrote:

There is no such thing as "Polish" heritage, as the country has been a melting pot of nationalities and traditions for countless centuries.

that ended up being an all white, culturally homogenous society? i'm not a historian but Poland surely ended up being very "vanilla".
OP delphiandomine 88 | 18,475
14 Dec 2010 #524
Oh, in terms of colour, of course it ended up that way. But I mean - more that there isn't much in the way of one Polish heritage - it's all a complete mix. You can see this here quite clearly - some families have Eastern traditions, others have Germanic traditions - it's not all the same thing.

Wasn't there a fuss over the American Polonia wearing the "wrong" clothes?
Czarnkow1940 5 | 95
14 Dec 2010 #525
We won't even discuss how they talk about being so proudly Polish, yet they can't speak the language.

You Claim to speak it badly. It must irritate you when so called Plastic Poles as you call them such as myself are able to speak perfect Polish ;)
Ironside 50 | 10,814
14 Dec 2010 #526
more that there isn't much in the way of one Polish heritage

there is a nobles heritage, heritage of citizens.......
OP delphiandomine 88 | 18,475
14 Dec 2010 #527
You Claim to speak it badly. It must irritate you when so called Plastic Poles as you call them such as myself are able to speak perfect Polish ;)

Perfect Polish? I have my doubts, racist.

You probably speak gutter Polish, as spoken by peasants.

(for what it's worth, why would it bother me? I didn't grow up with people speaking Polish around me)
polishmama 3 | 279
14 Dec 2010 #528
the country has been a melting pot of nationalities and traditions for countless centuries

So then you are saying that American or the US, specifically, has no heritage... Or Sicily... Or England... Or Jamaica... Or... I could keep going. And I know my heritage and love it.

Why do you attempt to be so hurtful? It's wrong. I want to promote the Polonia here as part of my writing career yet I cannot direct people to this forum bc all the threads here seem to end up having at least one person who is hurtful in some way, either through ignorance or purpose, with racist, sexist, or other comments. It's such a waste of time here...

Girl, don't even think that. There is nothing stronger in this world than blood ties with your family and with your birth country.

Thank you, that was very sweet of you....
PennBoy 76 | 2,437
14 Dec 2010 #529
I feel saddened to hear that some think that because I was taken from Poland as a young child that I am no longer polish

Don't worry what Dolphin says, I guess Joanna Krupa is no longer Polish but American since she's been living here since she was 5 years old,i'm sure America wouldn't mind accepting her lol.


convex 20 | 3,978
14 Dec 2010 #530
No you see, that's interesting. I listened to the interview (which is amazing in and of itself), and she mentions Eastern European women. Now, I know it's a little thing, but quite a few Poles get very defensive about that term when describing Poland, or Polish people. It's one of many small nuances that just make you cringe. Check the forum for reactions from Poles about identifying as "Eastern European". Central, it's central!...or so I'm told.

I think that main bone of contention is that there is an romanticized version of Poland which is out of touch with the reality of Poland. I personally don't take any issue with it, but it seems to be a case of seeing what you want to see. Dunno. Just my worthless two groszy on the topic.
landora - | 199
14 Dec 2010 #531
Dżoana Krupa is not really Polish, her accent is awful and she introduces English words into Polish sentences. I doubt she considers herself Polish.

And yes, it's Central :P
PennBoy 76 | 2,437
14 Dec 2010 #532
Dżoana Krupa is not really Polish, her accent is awful

She just said her name in English that's all, and if i can speak English with an American accent and Polish with a Polish one that don't make me Polish too??
FUZZYWICKETS 8 | 1,883
14 Dec 2010 #533
landora wrote:

Dżoana Krupa is not really Polish

man, you poles sure do have some harsh criteria when it comes to who is polish, who is not.

she was born in poland, spent the first 5 years of her life there, both her parents are polish and she was raised with both of them, she speaks the language very well.....yet she's "not really Polish."

what is it polish people.....do you have to live in poland your whole life and "feel the pain" with the rest of the poor shlubs out here in order to be truly polish?
PennBoy 76 | 2,437
14 Dec 2010 #534
what is it polish people.....do you have to live in poland your whole life and "feel the pain" with the rest of the poor shlubs out here in order to be truly polish?

HAHA good one. Like i said before it's childish playground jealousy nothing else
landora - | 199
14 Dec 2010 #535
She was brought up in America, as I said, I don't think she considers herself to be Polish.

Also "możesz być one day on a cover of a magazine" - how is this great Polish?

However, I could agree that the first generation of Poles abroad are Polish, but I will never agree that people, whose grandparents emigrated to America are Polish. They've never lived here, they were born abroad and thye use words like "busha" - no, they are not Polish.

what is it polish people.....do you have to live in poland your whole life and "feel the pain" with the rest of the poor shlubs out here in order to be truly polish?

Well, at least try living here before telling us what to do with our country, claiming you're more patriotic or voting in our elections.
PennBoy 76 | 2,437
14 Dec 2010 #536
However, I could agree that the first generation of Poles abroad are Polish, but I will never agree that people, whose grandparents emigrated to America are Polish. They've never lived here, they were born abroad and thye use words like "busha" - no, they are not Polish.

I think that's acceptable. busha? anyone who says something dumb like that should just shut up, they're making themselves look bad if you can't speak Polish don't. I've lived in Poland till i was 9 and since i read in Polish daily i speak it perfectly.
stallion 3 | 15
14 Dec 2010 #537
Also "możesz być one day on a cover of a magazine" - how is this great Polish?

This is hilarious. As a Chicago-Pole I always cringe when I hear her try to speak polish. Why would she as a person in the media not take intensive Polish language classes and “brush” up on her Polish. People manage to learn entirely new languages I’m sure she would be able to improve her Polish if she applied herself.

Why does my 18yr old cousin who was born in the states speak perfect polish yet she cannot say a sentence without inserting English words?
PennBoy 76 | 2,437
14 Dec 2010 #538
Why does my 18yr old cousin who was born in the states speak perfect polish yet she cannot say a sentence without inserting English words?

If a child is born in the States parents have to force him to speak Polish at home, it's the only place he will, his friends all speak English, in school everyone speaks English to him. It has to be the first language and continue to be into the teenage years.
Ironside 50 | 10,814
14 Dec 2010 #539
Why does my 18yr old cousin who was born in the states speak perfect polish yet she cannot say a sentence without inserting English words?

How the hell should I know ? She is your cousin !
OP delphiandomine 88 | 18,475
14 Dec 2010 #540
Why does my 18yr old cousin who was born in the states speak perfect polish yet she cannot say a sentence without inserting English words?

Because it's "Ponglish".

Vile!

But endlessly fascinating too. If some Polack wants to mix English and Polish when speaking, why not? Means her language is "alive".


Home / USA, Canada / Polack/American Polonia/Plastic Pole "culture"
BoldItalic [quote]
 
To post as Guest, enter a temporary username or login and post as a member.