an American who is not a commie can in all seriousness support PO over PiS
PiS is essentially PRL with catholicism and nationalism in place of communism they systematically repeat PRL ways of doing things
- making the party leader the most powerful person in the country
- appointing loyal but incompetent people who predictably make a shambles of things
- trying to turn institutions like schools and media into their PRL incarnations
What I want in a political party
- rule of law over 'the ends justify the means'
- economic reality rather than free cookies for votes
- social capital over connections
- social cohesion over ideological warfare
- international realism rather than making enemies for no reason
- personal and national responsibility instead of looking for scapegoats
No party in Poland comes close to this, so please stop saying I support PO (beyond being very slightly less horrible on those issues than PiS).