The BEST Guide to POLAND
Unanswered  |  Archives 
 
 
User: Guest

Home / Life  % width posts: 231

Rate Poland (Life Quality / Culture and People / Food): 1-10!


OP FUZZYWICKETS 8 | 1,883
4 Oct 2011 #121
seanus wrote:

I can tell you that many Poles rate their food 9/10 or even 10/10.

because most of the time, it's the only food they know.

bullfrog wrote:

but the lack of "beauty" is a drawback

i think this goes for most places in Poland, not just Warsaw. compare Poland's avg landscape to Croatia, Greece, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal......no comparison.

Alllie wrote:

the stunning BEAUTY of this place is enough to attract anyone seeking a comfortable and happy place to live in

i couldn't disagree more. sure, Mazury, Zakopane, Sklarska Poreba.......nice places....but not for living and working.
Sidliste_Chodov 1 | 441
4 Oct 2011 #122
because most of the time, it's the only food they know.

Or, in many cases, it's the only food they want to know.

My mum has many stories of visitors who "don't want to eat anything except Polish food" :(

Hopefully this is changing now, but the change will be slow.
bullfrog 6 | 602
4 Oct 2011 #123
Bullfrog, I can tell you that many Poles rate their food 9/10 or even 10/10. It's all in the palate but I agree that it is on the bland and unimaginative side. Tasty nonetheless!

Agreed, Seanus; as posted subsequently by others, it is clear that many Poles give their food a strong rating because it is the only one they ever tasted or simply because it's "mama's food".. One thing that never ceases to amaze me when in Poland is those ads for restaurants saying "kuchnia domowa".. Why on earth would you want to go to a restaurant if it's to eat the same thing than at home (except of course if you're a roving salesman longing for home)? However good what you have at home, part of the purpose of eating out for me is to try something a bit more sophisticated, something that you don't usually eat everyday
Seanus 15 | 19,706
4 Oct 2011 #124
Very good point, bullfrog. I don't imagine the bigos in any restaurant to be better than my mother-in-law's. Babuni stuff works :) :) I couldn't agree more and it's an even more salient point when you consider that hard times are ahead of us and disposable income is hardly at a premium.

I don't mean to have digs at anyone here but it is a bit lame to pay a lot more for that which you can make at home.
pawian 190 | 19,211
4 Oct 2011 #125
=Seanus]Bullfrog, I can tell you that many Poles rate their food 9/10 or even 10/10.

Exactly. Our country pizzas, kaszanka tortillas and winter sprat sushi are the best in the world.
Who doesn`t understand it, is deficient in the brain to body weight ratio.
Seanus 15 | 19,706
4 Oct 2011 #126
I like the pizza here, yes. However, Poles don't have pizza foremost in their minds when they think of Polish food, do they?

My ratio must be off a bit ;)
Magdalena 3 | 1,837
4 Oct 2011 #127
Mazury, Zakopane, Sklarska Poreba.......nice places....but not for living and working.

Why? I lived and worked in Mazury for over ten years. Lots of other people live and work there as well. What's not to like?
delphiandomine 88 | 18,454
4 Oct 2011 #128
compare Poland's avg landscape to Croatia, Greece, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal......no comparison.

Come on, Poland isn't average at all. Look at the Tatra mountains - they're every bit as impressive as the Alps and so on. The lakes here are so numerous - again - not average. Forests? Poland does exceptionally well there, especially because of Bialowieza. And the Baltic Sea coast isn't too bad as well.

Let's see -

Croatia : stunning coastline, but rather dull and poor outside of that. The area in the North (for instance, when you drive from Zagreb to Slavonski Brod) is exceptionally dull with absolutely nothing of interest except a few minefields.

Greece? Well...if endless nightclubs and bars full of drunken Brits are your thing..

Switzerland? Granted, the mountains are impressive. But the cities are soulless, and apart from Lake Geneva, there's not much else in the way of beauty.

Spain? Have you actually been to Spain? It's mostly empty desert - nothing impressive at all. The Sierra Nevada is impressive, but the coastline is pretty poor.

Italy? It's similar to Poland.

France? It has mostly everything, yes.

Portugal is ugly as **** - too much tourist development and little else.

If you think Poland is "average", then you didn't travel very much here. The only thing where Poland rates incredibly badly is in the towns and cities.
gumishu 12 | 6,086
4 Oct 2011 #129
The only thing where Poland rates incredibly badly is in the towns and cities.

so in a word Poland is mostly for those who seek the peace and quiet
Sidliste_Chodov 1 | 441
4 Oct 2011 #130
However good what you have at home, part of the purpose of eating out for me is to try something a bit more sophisticated, something that you don't usually eat everyday

Kind of.

But I like the occasional restaurant/takeaway simply because it's a break from my own food, or a break from the need to cook for myself. I often order something I would cook at home, but it's nice to taste someone else's version sometimes.

I can't imagine ever making sushi at home though, so I would go to a restaurant specifically for that, though.
Seanus 15 | 19,706
4 Oct 2011 #131
My wife does it for me, Sid. Great sushi it is too :)

Polish culture is very rich indeed. I think I've already rated it before.
OP FUZZYWICKETS 8 | 1,883
4 Oct 2011 #132
delphiandomine wrote:

If you think Poland is "average", then you didn't travel very much here. The only thing where Poland rates incredibly badly is in the towns and cities.

then why does the avg tourist go to the aforementioned countries.......and not Poland.
Sidliste_Chodov 1 | 441
4 Oct 2011 #133
My wife does it for me, Sid. Great sushi it is too :)

A Polish woman who can make sushi. I would be in heaven, seriously :D
Seanus 15 | 19,706
4 Oct 2011 #134
She defies nationality and almost everything else. She is truly unique. One of the most talented individuals I have ever known!! DIY, 10/10. Cooking 10/10. I'll stop there ;)
Vincent 9 | 936 Moderator
4 Oct 2011 #135
A Polish woman who can make sushi.

It shouldn't be too hard to serve up raw fish, even I could do that:)
Sidliste_Chodov 1 | 441
4 Oct 2011 #136
That's sashimi. Sushi is rice ;)

Seanus is a VERY lucky man.
Teffle 22 | 1,321
4 Oct 2011 #137
Bet he still limits her pocket money though (or at least tries to)

; )
gumishu 12 | 6,086
4 Oct 2011 #138
then why does the avg tourist go to the aforementioned countries.......and not Poland.

because of bloody mosquitos (komary) ;) - only Zakopane and Tatry don't have them :)
bberlin62 - | 38
4 Oct 2011 #140
Rate Poland (Life Quality / Culture and People / Food): 1-10!

Quality of life - 5/10
culture & people - 7/10 (much lower if counting sht = krotkowlosy fag and some pro stalinowcow, unfortunitely still present in Poland)
food - 7/10
pawian 190 | 19,211
4 Oct 2011 #141
My overall rating: 8/10
polmed 1 | 216
4 Oct 2011 #142
i think this goes for most places in Poland, not just Warsaw. compare Poland's avg landscape to Croatia, Greece, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal......no comparison.

Think about what do you compare : a city of Warsaw then unspecified regions of Poland with some other countries . Poland landscape is also diverse and even more diverse than in such countries you have mentioned . Some of the countries have got very monotonious landscapes as a matter of fact . Poland is equally diverse as France and without any doubt more diverse than all other countries you have mentioned . Taking into account just the pure beauty Poland is a winner. Have you been to all regions of Poland . Do you know what Roztocze is , have you ever been to Bieszczady . Do you know Polish lakes region ? I guess you are just blinded and prejudicial guy, who doesn`t simply like Poland .
Seanus 15 | 19,706
4 Oct 2011 #143
Poland has a lot of natural beauty, no question about that! It has sth for almost everyone. A huge plus for the country.
Teffle 22 | 1,321
4 Oct 2011 #144
Poland is equally diverse as France

Diverse in topography, maybe yes. But in terms of sheer aesthetics, not a chance.
Seanus 15 | 19,706
5 Oct 2011 #145
What do you mean by aesthetics here, Teffle?
polmed 1 | 216
5 Oct 2011 #146
What is sheer esthetics ?
Alllie
5 Oct 2011 #147
My friend i have been all around Europe and trust me the beauty in other countries does not compare to the beauty in Poland. You don't understand , Poland has this sense of culture and tradition , i feel a sense of security here. The scenery of the country is spectacular

i love it here !

Oh and the food here is absolutely delicious !

Sources: I've been living in Poland for 1 year so far and plan to stay here for the rest of my life :)

How could you say that the polish landscape is not diverse ?

Poland has one of the most beautiful and most diverse landscapes I've ever seen. The forests here are literally enchanted , the countryside is very beautiful ( not run down like in some other western European countries ). One of the users above me made a very good point , infact most of the other countries in Europe DO have a very monotonous landscape , Poland is so unique and majestic :)

I especially love how in Poland the 4 seasons are so visible throughout the year !
Teffle 22 | 1,321
5 Oct 2011 #148
What do you mean by aesthetics here, Teffle?

E.g. A beautiful Dordogne village, a random café, a Paris street, a field of lavender, a Breton fishing port...etc
calcedonia 4 | 67
5 Oct 2011 #149
-Quality of life 7-8 /10

-Polish culture and people 9-10/10

-Food 2-3/10

Quality of life I compare with Turkey.Turkey is %25 more expencive than Poland , Turkey is 1600PLN minumum salary but not enough for live ,and education in Turkey classroom 45-55 student ,in Poland 20-25 max. Private doctor in Poland 50Pln for control in Turkey 300Pln, Traffic turkey people use horn for call friend better than ring a bell,in Poland no horn voice, in Poland special way for buses can go without trafic jam turkey even security road driver use for run of traffic jam. Food are chipper than Turkey but not so delicous, Poland is imported from other country. In Turkey fresh and delicious.Textil in Turkey chipper but Poland also so tasteful poland brand names. Car in Turkey extreme expencive because of tax ,Poland expencive for eurropa but its ok. Gas in Turkey 12Pln for litre here its ok.Rent in avarage place in İstanbul 2 room one living room no furniture new one 2500Pln ,Poland is better. City view warsaw so clean and historical city but Istanbul is oldest and most historical and best view because of bosphorus, in europa.

Polish culture and people ,I never seen most polite like polish people except japanese.Poles are so intellectuals,so cultured,so polite and smart I seen and they respect other people,in Poland also they give sit for old people ,in Turkey we used this but I thought european doesnt like this ,after I read western europeans doesnt like but Polish use this its good for respect I think,and they are never angry if foreign people doesnt speak polish ,they wait and try to understand and help,never rude behavior they show other people,I heard about if you go eastern its will be more rude act. Turkish people bother tourist and other foreign people with seling some stuff or talking and asking when people goes street,in Poland everything with limit,they know how to act,in russia people and saler are so rude and irrelevant to other people or foreigner,in Turkey too curious its so bothering and boring. Turkey they fight and shout too much in street with no respect each other even in zebra crossing or traffic light but here they care of pedestrian,in Poland some young guys doesnt like who look like southern countries ,they show and act like this sometimes,in Poland you cant understand who is rich who is poor people quality avarage mostley,n turkey poor is realy poor you can understand rich realy rich they like to show how they are rich,I dont like this. Poland people wear clean and tasteful but sometimes not good hair cut still and shoes still Ive seen and some people wear sandals with sock its not good but they have clean and tasteful wearing general.I think they are realy civilized society.

First Poland has no lamp and sheep meat,I asked in market they act like I asked like gold or diamond why I dont understand? Lamp chops no in Poland I went polish german restaurant, Im deist and I dont have religion problem with food I ordered pork chops and I cant eat. I understand why american and southern european dont eat pork too much I heard in usa they eat T bone steak in steak house and southers italian ,greek or spanish eat lamp and sheep more because pork meat realy not delicious in sausage could be delicious also bacon could be good but just meet realy zero quality meat. Anyway I went some Kebab restaurants here ,please close this shops and go home ,if in Turkey you give this things as a kebab realy you close your business in 1 week. Poland workers and waitres so nice smiling face but no aesthetic of presentation. Im sure they try to best but more attention will be better .In pizzeria pizzas realy not good Im sory but food not just for eat must to pay attention like art,anyway I give good tip of waitres because they try to best they are so polite and they so smiliy face and hospitality I love them, sory for criticized them just for show and seen with foreigner eyes. Bless all.
OP FUZZYWICKETS 8 | 1,883
5 Oct 2011 #150
Alllie wrote:

Sources: I've been living in Poland for 1 year so far and plan to stay here for the rest of my life :)

awwwww, the honeymoon stage. how cute.


Home / Life / Rate Poland (Life Quality / Culture and People / Food): 1-10!
BoldItalic [quote]
 
To post as Guest, enter a temporary username or login and post as a member.