Merged: BHP - Poland health and safety attendance
My employer has just written to us to say that we need to attend a health and safety (BHP) training tomorrow. They gave us 19 hours' notice. They say that if we don't or can't attend, they will fire us on Friday. Is this even legal?
Merged: Health and Safety in Poland
How would you assess Poland with regard to health and safety regulations and their actual enforcement in practice? What about smoke detectors, circuit breakers, quality of electrical wiring, lead in water, bans on burning garbage, contaminated foods, etc.
I will give it a go with my limited experience here 3 years.
1. Smoke detectors, very important as i Use Coke coal and wood for heating, you can buy smoke , and carbon monoxide detectors quite cheaply from Tesco.
2. circuit breakers, yes they use them, in Poland you have the star system as opposed to a ring main, the majority of houses do not have rcd's , the use of neutral as earth is quite common, also plenty of older houses use aluminium wiring which is a huge fire risk.
3. Lead in water dunno , I have a well and its never been tested.
4. Everyone burns or buries their garbage in the back garden, cheaper than paying for bin men (I live in a village not the city where it might be hard to bury garbage), also quite common in poland to burn plastic bottles in the fireplace in winter, now that's bad.
5. contaminated food, I have no idea not dead yet after 3 years.
As for regulations, I have never known anyone come round and check anything.