The BEST Guide to POLAND
Unanswered  |  Archives 
User: Guest

Home / Law  % width posts: 8

Need advice and help for obtaining a PESEL

snaps 4 | 27
7 Oct 2013 #1
Ok, been in Poland for about a month now. Been to the local offices in Bystra (Malapolska) where we have registered our marriage (From Ireland), but I cant seem to get any help or advice from this office where I go to get my pesel. They have taken my original birth cert and the translation, so i dont have that anymore. Need to start looking for work soon or I will crack up, but cant do anything with out a pesel!!

Do I need to go to Krakow? Dont fancy going all the way there for a wasted journey.
delphiandomine 88 | 18,116
7 Oct 2013 #2
but cant do anything with out a pesel!!

You don't need a PESEL in order to get a job. Plenty of people work here without one.

Anyway, the process is simple. You need to go and register your residence at the local Urzad Miasta, at the same place where your wife would do it. After you've done that, you need to go to the Foreigners Office for Malopolska, probably in Krakow (or maybe in Nowy Sacz) and apply for the certificate of residence as an EU citizen, then go back to the local Urzad Miasta and register your address for 5 years. Once you've done that, you can get the PESEL.

First step : go to the local Urzad Miasta, I forget the name, but it's the same place that your wife would go if she wanted to change the address on her ID card.
smurf 39 | 1,966
7 Oct 2013 #3
Local Urzad office should give it to you. That's what I did when I moved here, think it took a few days. Bring your missus and don't take no for an answer.

Also, I hope it was a copy of the original? Otherwise you can kiss that baby goodbye.
OP snaps 4 | 27
7 Oct 2013 #4
Thanks guys.
30 Nov 2013 #5
What are the advantages (or disadvantages) of having a PESEL as a foreigner? Is it really necessary?
Klo 1 | 21
1 Dec 2013 #6
I had to give up my birth certificate (original) to my urzad miasta when I first came, but they said that I could borrow it when needed. At one point I needed it to renew my Canadian passport and I've never returned it to the office. It hasn't been a problem.
LS21320 1 | 3
8 Dec 2016 #7
Merged: Obtaining PESEL in Poland

Hello, I have a national VISA for 1 year in Poland, what procedures do I have to go through to obtain PESEL?
Harry84 2 | 81
9 Dec 2016 #8

Poland is not provide the PESEL number immediately once you arrived, you have to wait for next 5 yrs.
but still you can concern with lawyer/agent on this.


Home / Law / Need advice and help for obtaining a PESEL