The BEST Guide to POLAND
Unanswered  |  Archives 
User: Guest

Home / Life  % width posts: 68

Electricity in Poland: plug and voltage?

Moonlighting 31 | 234
12 May 2007 #1

I will need to plug the battery charger for my digital camera during my holiday soon. Please tell me what is the voltage used in Poland, and how the plugs look like, sothat I know if I need some adapter.

Thanks in advance ;-)
Grzegorz_ 51 | 6,161
12 May 2007 #2
I think It's the same in a whole EU.
Zgubiony 15 | 1,554
12 May 2007 #3
Please tell me what is the voltage used in Poland

Standard PL
12 May 2007 #4
great pic Zgubiony:)
Zgubiony 15 | 1,554
12 May 2007 #6
yeah...should help him out right?

Moonlighting- Just pay attention to the voltage of whatever you're plugging into the an Iron. You'll need a seperate adapter for that. Maybe you should also bring a spare fuse or 2 :)

230 ?

I believe 220v and powerline freq of 50 Hz

I do see sites that have it as 230v though.
Wroclaw 44 | 5,384
12 May 2007 #7
Two pin..............some sockets have a pin sticking out. Your adapter should be flat, if you know what I mean. Or it should accept the pin. Look at Z's picture.
Grzegorz_ 51 | 6,161
12 May 2007 #8
I think It has been 230V since 2004, but that doesn't really make any difference.
Zgubiony 15 | 1,554
12 May 2007 #9
Nah...I think the adapters will convert anything near. He just has to pay attn to what he's plugging in there. I learned the hard way :)
OP Moonlighting 31 | 234
14 May 2007 #10
Thanks for the information. The picture helped !
Ranj 21 | 948
19 Jul 2007 #11
Polish Electrical Outlets

Can someone tell me about Polish electrical outlets? I know the voltage is the same as it is in the UK, but are the actual plugs different? Should I buy an adaptor plug here in the US or in Poland (I'm a cheapskate, so what's gonna save me money?) ;)
Wroclaw 44 | 5,384
19 Jul 2007 #12

There is a thread with pictures somewhere.

Admin, please work your magic.
krysia 23 | 3,058
19 Jul 2007 #13
You'll probably have a better chance of finding an adapter in the US than in Poland...
Ranj 21 | 948
19 Jul 2007 #14
Admin, please work your magic.

Thanks Admin, and thanks everyone who replied to the thread.
bookratt 6 | 85
21 Jul 2007 #15
We are using a Radio shack 50 watt adapter that has three "port plugs" that flat fold into the block shaped adapter; they pop out when needed to plug into the wall. One is for England, one for Australia and one for EU. It converts 120 volt to 220 volts as all similar adapters do, but we needed a separate piece like the plug shown above to make the plugs on the adapter extend out long enough to fit the round indented plugs in our hotel walls; it had to be plugged onto the adapter then our appliances plugged into the adapter itself. Didn't have to do that in Uk when there, so that was different.
impete82 3 | 29
13 Feb 2009 #16
Thread attached on merging:
Universal European AC Plug Travel Adapter

i will mostly purchase this adapter so i can bring over my battery chargers and other items, but i am a little confused by this comment for the adapter:

"This is just a socket adapter, not a voltage converter, so make sure you know what you're looking for."

Wroclaw 44 | 5,384
13 Feb 2009 #17
it doesn't change voltage.

it changes the size of the pins/ or makes the pins fit
15 Mar 2009 #18
Voltage in poland is standard european 230V 50Hz single phase and 400V 3 phase - which is same as in UK - basically most of EU electric grids are working in sync and voltages had to be made same in HV part of grid

and now differences
plugs/sockets are different - you can't fit british plug into european socket ( you can use european plug in british socket but you need to use spoon or similar tool )

polish circuits are completely protected with 30mA ( 100mA in industrial premises ) RCDs ( in poland required in all installations for over 10 years now - however RCDs are very common in installations as old as 1980 - in UK required since 17th edition for all installations (2008) ) + low rating CB's

no ring circuits and CB's are usually rated at about 10-16A (in UK ring circuits are about twice of that) which makes use of fuses in plugs unnecessary

most of polish standards are harmonised with european - so difference between british and relevant polish standards are minimal ( differences like plugs and sockets, recommendations for RCDs - one for whole installation in poland - separate RCDs in UK - level of electrical safety is same but when RCD trips in poland it cut's everything including lights, but it's cheaper )

houses usually have 3 phase supply - with different phases in different circuits - so when there is fault in one phase other 2 are still working - but connecting two devices connected to different phases can be fun (especially one's with switched mode power supply because of how interference filter work's in them (couple capacitors connected between neutral, live and earth conductors) )

that should cover basic differences and similarities between electricity in poland, UK and EU
Wroclaw 44 | 5,384
15 Mar 2009 #20
you can use european plug in british socket but you need to use spoon or similar tool

Brilliant advice. Use a metal spoon and stick it in the live socket. It won't do much for your appliance, but it might curl your hair.
ms80000 - | 8
19 Mar 2009 #21
this link may be useful

World Standards - Electricity around the world
okgirl66 3 | 90
25 Mar 2009 #22
Thread attached on merging:

I am going to Krakow in the summer and have just booked the hotel. It's a basic but good value hotel and they do not provide a kettle in the room for tea (which I must have). Can I buy an adaptor before I go and take my kettle with me?

I would be very grateful for any advice about this and what voltage and plug type it should be. Also where would I buy an adaptor like this? Thanks and purrs :-)

ShelleyS 14 | 2,893
25 Mar 2009 #23
Just get an adapter - I used my hair dryer and straightners so I dont think you'll have any probs with a kettle :)
SeanBM 35 | 5,808
25 Mar 2009 #24
Are you the cat?.

The standard voltage in Poland is 220 volts at 50 Hz.
Please note that 110 volts at 60 Hz equipment requires a special voltage adapter!

They are also two pin plug here.

Ah I see by your profile, you are in Belfast, then you just need the normal, three pin to two pin plug adaptor, it can be found in any hard ware shop or at the airport
okgirl66 3 | 90
25 Mar 2009 #25
Thanks for the advice - that's really helpful - I shall be a happy cat now.

(don't know why but the reply messages wouldn't come up on my computer until about ten minutes after they were posted!)
SeanBM 35 | 5,808
25 Mar 2009 #26
Your welcome.

(don't know why but the reply messages wouldn't come up on my computer until about ten minutes after they were posted!)

They don't come up automatically, you have to refresh the page otherwise, I don't know.
simren - | 8
26 Mar 2009 #27
I think 220-240v ,two round plug pins are ok ,because we export to Poland ,this kind of plug
okgirl66 3 | 90
26 Mar 2009 #28
Thank you Simren, I have found a two pin adapter and ordered it on-line. It's only £2.99 and says it is ok for Poland so I will use this:-

det66 - | 1
20 Feb 2010 #29
Semichem sell them for around £1.99
jonni 16 | 2,485
20 Feb 2010 #30
Poundland have them too. For 99p less.

Home / Life / Electricity in Poland: plug and voltage?
BoldItalic [quote]
To post as Guest, enter a temporary username or login and post as a member.