Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Law  % width 6

Residency in Poland for an American citizen

polakiv 1 | 1  
20 Aug 2008 /  #1
I am an American citizen wishing to reside in Poland. My ex-wife is a Polish citizen. We divorced in the United States, but did not register our divorce in Poland. If the divorce is not registered in Poland I understand that it is not official there. Can she still sponsor me for residency if we are not divorced in Poland? How would the authorities know of our divorce in the USA? What difference would it make? She has agreed to do so, if it is possible to do this. Thanks.
20 Aug 2008 /  #2
How would the authorities know of our divorce in the USA?

because you have to be honest on your paperwork or face imprisonment possibly for making a fraudelant claim and you also risk your ex-wife being found guilty also of this.

What difference would it make?

Alot of difference you'd be breaking the law ... quite possibly

but lets see what other members on forum suggest ....
krysia 23 | 3,058  
20 Aug 2008 /  #4
They will.
You don't have to register the divorce in Poland because you're not a Polish Citizen. She has to because if she's back in Poland and has changed her name they might question her.

You might have papers to fill out asking if you're married or not and you can't get away with this because sooner or later they will check it, go through your tax returns etc., and you'd be accused of fraud.

I don't know if she can sponsor you for residency. You'd have to ask the Polish Embassy.
OP polakiv 1 | 1  
20 Aug 2008 /  #5
Pity. Well, it's a matter of legalities. We dont want to do anything illegal. But we consider ourselves married in Poland and have even thought to reconcile there. I will not stay in the USA. I enjoy Poland and want to live there instead of here.
beckyinjozefow 1 | 27  
6 Sep 2008 /  #6
Get a job over here as an English teacher and get a work permit.

Archives - 2005-2009 / Law / Residency in Poland for an American citizenArchived