lets compare it to Philadelphia.
Stop, stop, stop! Just stop comparing the Polish market to anywhere. Its bananas and pointless. You can't even compare Krakow prices to Gdansk and say "oooooh, you can get so much more in Gdansk so Krakow is too expensive". They are different markets.
Why does a 50 sqm flat in Krakow cost 200,000?
- Big student population and young professionals so easy to rent
- Close to bars, shops, nightclubs, theatres, cinemas, culture, etc, etc.
- Poles migrating into the city for well paid jobs increasing demand while supply of housing is limited.
- Plenty of low cost airlines flying in millions of tourists
- On the main transit route from Germany/West Europe to Ukraine, Russia and other Eastern markets so plenty of business in logistics
- beautiful old town, castle and river within walking distance or tram trip of most suburbs
- Easy to reach and travel to the rest of Europe
- Close to mountains, forests, lakes
Why does a huge 200 sqm house with garden in Philadelphia cost the same?
- it doesn't have most of the above.
If its all about where you want to live and you prefer American suburbia then go live there and potter around in your garden. Personally I love big city lights so do the majority of people (demand) so I have to pay more because the number of properties in a city centre (supply) is limited. And that's also why I invest in or near cities.