Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Life  % width 6

Bringing new car (tax free) to Poland

Selina 6 | 11  
17 Jul 2007 /  #1

Does anyone of you have any experience about brining a tax free car to Poland from another EU country (Finland this case)? For how long can I drive the car with Finnish custom license plates? Or do we have to pay taxes in Poland? When do we have to register car to Poland?

We will take a local insurance for sure, but how about the customs part? Please help me out on this, can't find any information on this issue in English.

davidpeake 14 | 451  
17 Jul 2007 /  #2

not 100% sure, but all countries within the EU, i think you would have not problem driving around, as i have driven a car with Polish plates in Holland, for 8 months without any problems, with the insurance, that would be a question to ask your insurance if you are covered in all the EU, including Poland.
drew128 3 | 55  
19 Jul 2007 /  #3
I lived in Denmark for a few years and bought my car back to the UK on Danish plates and was told that in the EU the car would be able to run on DK plates for 6 months, then it would need to be imported. The Police have made it clear to some of my Polish friends who have had there PL cars here, that if they intend to stay in the UK, they need to sell the cars and buy UK ones, a good point as its RHD here or import the PL car. I resold mine in DK and bought a RHD car here. As this appears to be a EU ruling I guess Poland is subject to it. Interesting thread though, looking forward to other replies.

Grzegorz_ 51 | 6,161  
19 Jul 2007 /  #4
I'm not sure about It but I think that for cars not older than 2 years you don't have to pay tax. For older with engine 2000 cm3 or smaller you have to pay something like 5% of its value, with engine over 2000 cm3 something like 15%.
31 Jul 2007 /  #5

You will only be able to Drive your Finnish car on its Finnish registration plates for 6 Months, However There is no way for the Police to verify how long the car has been in Poland. So if you get stopped by the Police you have only had the car here a month ;)
5 Sep 2007 /  #6
Actually, the import tax on a motor over 2.0L is 13%, and 3% up to 2.0L. You'll have sales tax, unless you can prove you bought it 6 months previously (if you plan on selling it) and then another tax for registration - which you'd have anyway...

hope that helps amigo.

Archives - 2005-2009 / Life / Bringing new car (tax free) to PolandArchived