Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Law  % width 4

Legalization of stay in Poland - FAQ - guide

delphiandomine 83 | 17,863  
20 Jul 2009 /  #1
Okay, I would appreciate help with this as I'm not completely familiar with the process for non-EU citizens, nor am I familiar with the process for other types of residency granted. If anyone has anything to add, I'd be glad for the input. This is also how it's done in Poznan, and may be different elsewhere - so again, if anyone has something to add, please do!

EU Citizens

EU citizens intending to work in Poland can do so freely, however, there are certain steps that must be followed in order to legalise their stay in the country.

1) After arrival, you must visit the local Urząd Miasta in order to register your temporary stay in the Republic of Poland. To do this, you must gain the permission of the owner of a residence to 'register' you as living there. They will need to accompany you to the office. At the office, you will have to fill out a short form - bring your passport or national ID card and birth certificate. The owner of the residence will also have to have the title deeds to the residence and their relevant national ID.

Opinions vary as to whether you need to have all the listed owners present, or whether some of the owners can simply photocopy their ID along with a letter authorising the owner present to act on their behalf. As always, ask at the office for what their advice is.

2) During this time, you want to go to the Urząd Skarbowy and apply for a NIP. This is your personal tax number, and you'll need to fill in the NIP-3 form. Bring along your current temporary registration document and your passport (in case, I didn't need to show mine!).

3) This document will be valid for 3 months. After this 3 month period has expired, you'll have to go back and re-register for another 3 months.

4) After obtaining the next 3 months temporary residence permit, the next step is to visit the Urząd Wojewódzki to register your permanent stay. Unlike the previous step, you won't need the owners of the flat. Go there and ask them for a copy of the form for the permanent (5-year) residence permit. When there, also ask as to what documentary proof they require.

4a) In Poznan, they currently require the following -

- Valid health insurance - 1 photocopy (EHIC card is enough, known as EKUZ)
- Bank statements for 3 months from a Polish bank account
- Letter from a place of work confirming the salary paid per month
- 4x copies of the information page of your passport
- 3x copies of the application form along with the original
- Current temporary registration that you obtained from the City office.
- 1 złoty.

Sit back and wait!

Anyone want to write a guide for non-EU nationals?
20 Jul 2009 /  #2
I don't have the energy to attempt a guide for non-EU nationals I'm afraid :) but my experience in Krakow is that for stays of under 3 months, the tenant has to be present at the registration (but not necessarily the owner), but for temporary stays of over 3 months, either the tenant or the owner can do the registration.
Bartolome 2 | 1,085  
20 Jul 2009 /  #3
- 1 złoty.

That made me chuckle (:
Kumar26 3 | 6  
20 Jul 2009 /  #4
hello u should write about Non-EU tooo....i have actually put up a question in this forum...if u can answer pls?

Archives - 2005-2009 / Law / Legalization of stay in Poland - FAQ - guideArchived