Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Law  % width 9

American girl and Polish guy. How do we get married?

22 Sep 2006 /  #1
I need some serious help!! I am an American girl and my fiance is from Poland. We've been together for 4 years and engaged for 2 years. We are ready to get married and still crazy about each other, but are really confused with how we go about planning our wedding and doing the paperwork. My fiance is worried about waiting in the US without a job until our wedding is planned. He suggested that we get married in Poland in a court, then when our paperwork is done and he has a work permit we can come back to the US and plan a ceremony wedding. He just worries that he will come to the US and not be able to get a job. Is there another way to go about getting married? Please help!
krysia 23 | 3,058  
22 Sep 2006 /  #2
OK. Let me explain some things.
1.If you guys want to get married in Poland and if you don't have Polish citizenship, you have to get an Ok from the court to do so. This might take about a month. After that you can get married, but then you will apply for an imigrant visa for him which will take anywhere from 4-6 months after which he can come to the US and get a job because that's the same as a green card.

2. You can apply for a fiance visa, which can take anywhere from 4-9 months, after which once he enters into the US you have 90 days to get married and then he will get a green card to work, very quickly.

3. You can try to sponsor him to get a tourist visa, which is usually denied, unless you're a student or an older person promising that you will return back to Poland. If you get lucky, and are approved, you will know right away, then once he's in America, you guys get married and then wait for the green card, usually about a year. It costs 300 zł. each time you go to the US Embassy for a visa.

4. He can take a trip to Mexico, you meet him there and cross the border together, but make sure he's not dressed like a European. The Mexican patrols like to look at shoes, which is a dead give-away. This is a little risky. Scratch this idea out. Never mind. And don't ask me how I know this.

5. He can enter the US on a business visa, if his job has relations in the US and is required to represent the company. But probably not likely.

6. Last way is to have a company in the US agree to hire him, send all their tax information to the Embassy, and enter on a work visa. But this also will take 4-9 months.

So in my opinion, the best way is the fiance visa. You must have pictures of you guys together to prove that you love each other and intend to marry, because that way he gets a green card right away and everything is legal. There are lawyers out there who will do this for you, they say they can do it in 4 months, but they take a lot of money.

Confused? Need more info.?
bolo 2 | 304  
23 Sep 2006 /  #3
Nice.. Krysia's answer should be sticked. :)
polskadan 1 | 16  
23 Sep 2006 /  #4
After how many years once you get the green card can you get US citizenship for yourself or spouse?? And is it difficult to maintain both Polish and American citizenship?
krysia 23 | 3,058  
23 Sep 2006 /  #5
Nice.. Krysia's answer should be sticked.

I'd rather have bolo sticked....

If you marry a US citizen and you already have your green card, then you wait only three years to get US citizenship.
If you do not marry a US citizen, then you have to wait 5 years.
You are allowed to have dual-citizenship.
9 Oct 2006 /  #6
Ok, my girlfriend is from Poland (been seeing her for 2 1/2 years). She is coming here ona tourist visa (has been here a couple other times on work visas), and I plan to marry her. This is not her preferred location to live, but will move to the U.S. for me. Anyway, once we're married, how do I proceed, and when will she be able to work?

Also, I am a United States Citizen (born here), if that makes any sort of difference.
19 Sep 2007 /  #7
hey im a south african guy illegally in uk, and i want to get married to a polish girl in the uk...are we able to while i am illegal
Daisy 3 | 1,224  
19 Sep 2007 /  #8
are we able to while i am illegal

19 Sep 2007 /  #9
Have him get a tourist visa, if he can get one. Once he makes it to the states, get married as in Vegas baby. Then file for the paperwork and after he gets a Social Security Number he can legally work in the states.

Or a fiance visa, but the wait is longer.

Good luck.

Archives - 2005-2009 / Law / American girl and Polish guy. How do we get married?Archived