Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Work  % width 4

Qualifications for working in Polish State Schools

27 May 2007 /  #1
I obtained a Bachelor's degree (1st class honours) in the UK in Computer Science and I have a TEFL certificate from the University of Bedfordshire accredited by the British Council. After the Bachelor's I went straight onto a PhD (doctorat) course. I didn't complete the course due to problems with the company who were funding the course but nonetheless completed 2 years of study.

I was asked to come and work at PWSIP in £omża teaching Computing (in English) but after arriving I was told that I couldn't teach as I don't have a Master's degree. The school solicitor was supposed to be looking at the problem but doesn't seem the slightest bit interested.

I am talking with the university in Białystok about continuing and completing my PhD studies but I would prefer to stay in £omża as I have already made a large number of friends and I like the town.

Does anyone know anything about Polish law regarding teacher qualfications in Poland and whether there is any way I can teach without a Master's, such as being employed on the basis of specialist knowledge?

I intend getting the required qualifications but I really need to find a way around the problem before the new semester starts in October.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
adilski 2 | 105  
27 May 2007 /  #2
i think u can do a wee bit more with those studies....... teaching english is good but you can use ur knowledge to bettr more people.....

or try an investment bank
bunia 1 | 134  
27 May 2007 /  #3
or you could try to teach IT in some private high schools if teaching is what you love. worth a try :)
15 Jul 2007 /  #4
I was once in similar position at a Polish Uni., having taught there with a BA Hons, and being offered tenure - for which I needed an MA. My supervisor suggested that I wrote an MA thesis of 20 000 words. I managed to do this in our weeks - with two preschool children. I wrote on an area I knew well and which I planned to us for a PhD. What about doing something similar, a type of expanded proposal. You must have stuff from your aborted PhD that you could knock together. Read some MAs and you'll see that it's not a great chyallenge.

Good luck

Archives - 2005-2009 / Work / Qualifications for working in Polish State SchoolsArchived