Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / USA, Canada  % width 16

Getting my Polish fiance into the US

26 Jun 2007 /  #1
I am an American citizen and my fiance is Polish. We are getting married in poland in September. I believe that what we need is a marriage visa so i can bring her back to the us, but as i understand it, it may take six months or even longer in order to get one. I have an attorney and he tells me that he can do it in six months guaranteed. The only problem is that i have to leave her in Poland since i have to work here in order to get a visa for her. Is there other way that I can get her here with out having to be apart for six months?

We were thinking of getting a tourist visa before getting married and having the unofficial ceremony in Poland then fly to US to get married. But we have tried to get a tourist visa for her before in Dublin but she was denied. Now she is back in Poland and living with her parents. My other questions is that now that she is in Poland and living with her parents as opposed to living alone in Ireland, can she actually get a tourist visa?

We only want to be in the United States for a few years, to make some money then move back to Poland. Please let me know soon. Thank you.
krysia 23 | 3,057  
26 Jun 2007 /  #2
You can try for the tourist visa again, but they will need proof that she will be returning to Poland. And she might get denied again.

But you can apply for the fiance visa, the waiting time is shorter than the spousal visa because the spousal visa is an immigrant visa and it takes longer. Fiance visa usually takes 5 months. Once it's approved ( after 2-3 months) you can travel to Poland and you can go with her to the interview, which is about 6-8 weeks after it's approved. You do not need to stay in the US, you can come back with her. Fiance visa is rarely denied. The cost at this time is $170. After July 31-st it goes up to $480
Michal - | 1,865  
27 Jun 2007 /  #3
We only want to be in the United States for a few years, to make some money then move back to Poland

I wish you all the best of luck with your future together. However, make sure that it is for life. I have met many examples where people are just used and then dropped later on. When I was a student in Portsmouth a student in the year ahead of me went to St. Petersburg and married someone who worked for Russian Gas. I said it was a mistake but was told by the Best Man to be that "they were very much in love". After six months she left him and went around with every man she could find. There is a tale in this somewhere. You talk about moving back to Poland but in my experience, very rarely would a Pole want to return to their home land.
ukinpoland 5 | 338  
27 Jun 2007 /  #4
Michal do you realise that all you talk about is when you were a student. Do you have any interests now or do you just live in the past?
Meg 1 | 38  
27 Jun 2007 /  #5
Let me be honest with you: Immigrating legally to the U.S. is a big pain in the behind. It's an even bigger pain - as you've found - when trying to decide between the fiance and spouse visas at the time of your marriage if you are getting married in the applicant's country, because U.S. Immigration does not seem to foresee this situation! Arrrghh! I was so glad when we got married that I went the other way to Canada; Canada has its own paperwork problems but you generally do not need a lawyer and I was able to live with my husband while they processed my residency request (this is not available to citizens of all countries, however).

My husband and I did meet through an online matching service, and on the general boards there was a good bit of talk about "should I emigrate there/should they immigrate here?" One book that I've heard is very helpful for fiance/marriage visas is this one: Fiancé & Marriage Visas: A Couple's Guide to U.S. Immigration, from Nolo Press, a publisher of legal advice books for "normal" people.

I would also look and see about finding any online support groups if possible. I belonged to a Yahoo group for married immigrants to Canada, and it was incredibly helpful, both technically and for "support". There's also one group I've heard of, American Families United, I don't know how helpful they'd be to you but you could see.

The most important thing is to have a good lawyer who you trust. If you're not sure, you can always check him out through AILA. If you are sure, then great! You're on your way. Ask your attorney if you can get a fiancee visa even though the ceremony is taking place in Poland. If worse comes to worse, you could always schedule a civil ceremony in the U.S. to satisfy Immigration & to put on paperwork - I'm assuming you're having a church ceremony in Poland, but that is an assumption on my part! - And don't have a "second" ceremony in the U.S. without an absolute OK from a good lawyer!!! Worst-case scenario would be getting a spouse visa and your bride possibly having to remain in Poland for a few months, even until the New Year. BUT, considering how unpleasant and expensive it is to take shortcuts and do it the "wrong" way - with any immigration authority but especially in the U.S. - those few months WILL be worth it, believe me.

Um, I'd also check the U.S. Embassy in Warsaw's website, sometimes the embassies have helpful info, sometimes not.

Whatever happens, congratulations and best wishes to you both!
28 Jun 2007 /  #6
Once you get her into the usa you will never see her again. Polish woman prostitute themselvs to get out of poland. There used to be websites on mail order brides from poland
FISZ 24 | 2,116  
5 Jul 2007 /  #7
You aren't suspended yet? No such sites troll.

Let me be honest with you: Immigrating legally to the U.S. is a big pain in the behind.

I agree...tons of paperwork and money. You may also need a good lawyer to help minimize the paperwork, but it'll cost.
witek7205 1 | 65  
8 Jul 2007 /  #8
I am an American citizen and my fiance is Polish. We are getting married in poland in September.

Don't do that. :)

She can apply for K-1 visa in US embassy in Poland as your fiance.
She can enter US on K-1 visa . You have to get married in 90 days after her enter.
After marriage you can apply for green card for her and advance parole document, so she can travel abroad.
She will receive an employment authorization card in 3 month and green card in about 1 year.

Don't apply for tourist visa, because she in not eligible for tourist visa if you plan to get married.
You can do unofficial marriage ceremony in Poland after that.

use google and find more information about K-1 visa, advance parole document and adjustment of status. I-131, I-485, G-325, I-765
You don't need a lawyer to fill out all documents. It is not difficult, but you need to spend some time googling and calling DHS. Tell her to take her birth certification and sworn translation of it. All (also expired) passports will be needed.
12 Jul 2007 /  #9
Okay, I know that my question doesn't directly have to do with a fiance visa (even if we are tentatively thinking about that at this point). I'm a U.S. citizen and my boyfriend is Polish. We met in a country other than our own, have been together for 8 months and are now thinking of ways to be together. Now I am in the U.S. and he is in Poland. He is going to apply for a tourist visa (did that price skyrocket too??) for next summer (or possible next spring) to check out schools here in the U.S. for a PhD program. My question is, on his application, should he list me as the address he is staying at in the U.S. or should he just list a hotel or something like that (he doesn't have friends in the U.S. because he's never been here). I'm afraid that if he lists my name, red flags with the govt. will suddenly come up or maybe I'm just being a bit too paranoid of big brother at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Grzegorz_ 51 | 6,161  
12 Jul 2007 /  #10
My question is, on his application, should he list me as the address he is staying at in the U.S.

No idea.
witek7205 1 | 65  
12 Jul 2007 /  #11
He should list you.
No body will believe him, that he has money to stay in hotel in the US.
Listing hotel as a place to stay will end with no visa.

He even should not mention that he is looking for PhD program.
Tourist visa is for tourists and for nobody else. A person looking for school is not a tourist. That person is a potential student and should apply for F-1.

He should be as natural as possible.
"He is going to visit his friend who met in ...... and she invited him for vacation to the US."
Your letter to him with invitation may help.
Just regular letter: Hi, how are you? Are you going to visit US this year. If yes let me know I will accommodate you for that time."

He should keep the envelope with your address on it.

They will also be looking for something else.
Not only who is in the US, but what keeps him in Poland.
Document from his employer that he works full time is really good thing.
Even better would be if he can show that he just started PhD program in Poland.
Being a student is really good help.

His answers in embassy should be short, in topic and natural. He can't think what to say, because it means that he doesn't know answer and prepares it.

One warning.
DS-156 form has a question about family in the US. Fiance is also mentioned there.
If he checks that his fiance is in the US, he is not eligible for tourist visa. They will advice him to apply for K visa.

if he does not checks, he will lay which means 10- year ban if officer discovers that his fiance is in the US.
So. You are his friend and only friend met someday somewhere and nothing more.
And shut up about marriage, girlfriends, PhD programs and any other type of schools.

By the way.
I really encourage him to read everything what is on this page

Some technical information are old, but other information, what to do, how to prepare himself, about body language are perfect.
12 Jul 2007 /  #12
Thank you so much Witek for your help, I really really appreciate all of your advice. I hope this all works! :)
krysia 23 | 3,057  
25 Jul 2007 /  #13
She will receive an employment authorization card in 3 month and green card in about 1 year.

My Polish husband since April just received a letter from the INS that he will be receiving his green card in 2 weeks. The letter welcomes him to the US and the US goverment is announcing that he will have permanent residential status.

So if a person enters the US on a fiance visa, he will get the green card in 4 months. There is no need to talk to INS officials, the only time they need a talk is when a person enters the US on a visitor visa and doesn't return to Poland but marries a US citizen. The goverment frowns upon people who do that because they were not honest in their attempts to stay in the US and it takes about 2 years for them to get that green card, if they ever do.
9 Dec 2007 /  #14
what if the american citizen man is still married to wife, is living in the states (not with wife anymore but is in the process of getting a divorce) now but wants to marry the polish citizen that just had their child (not sure if the child is US or polish citizen or both) will she get her visa as soon as the divorce is final. they will eventually get married but not sure where.
krysia 23 | 3,057  
10 Dec 2007 /  #15
will she get her visa as soon as the divorce is final.

You can start applying for the fiance visa as soon as the divorce is finalized.
10 Dec 2007 /  #16
To all with Polish passport: Do not apply for fiancee visa now or travel to US.
If you have to protect property etc. cross in field through Mexican or canadian
border. I witnessed tens of senioritas in concetration camp in Florence Arizona.
The Polands GDP is only 14000 while Meksikan 10000. Do not step to USA.
Do not risk life for nothing.

Archives - 2005-2009 / USA, Canada / Getting my Polish fiance into the USArchived