Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / UK, Ireland  % width 9

I'm in the UK. Getting married in Poland

Max8240 2 | 7  
8 Aug 2008 /  #1
Hi everyone,

I'm gettig married in Poland next year to my Polish fiance. Does anyone know which documents are needed to take to the embassy in London, to get a document stating that I am single and have never been married, and how long it is valid for. (Tried call the embassy on various occasions, but can't get through)

Griff 17 | 67  
8 Aug 2008 /  #2
Are you english?
OP Max8240 2 | 7  
8 Aug 2008 /  #3
Well, I have recently acquired Polish citizenship through my father, so I have UK/Polish citizenship.

But as I am UK born and have lived here all my life, I suppose I will have to prove that I am single and never married from this side of the channel.
Switezianka - | 463  
8 Aug 2008 /  #4
I think the best idea would be calling the embassy directly and asking.
krysia 23 | 3,058  
8 Aug 2008 /  #5
I suppose I will have to prove that I am single and never married from this side of the channel.

I don't think you need anything to prove that.
8 Aug 2008 /  #6
I know that Grif has just gone through the whole process as a British guy; however, as you are a Polish citizen now, I think the rules regarding British people will not apply to you as the Polish authorities will regard you as Polish first and British second.

It's a difficult one, I would like advise you to go to the Polish consulate London, but whatever you do for god's sake check their advice that they give you, as I have heard of them giving out the wrong advice to People.

I don't think you need anything to prove that.

I am afraid you have to krysia, Polish people can just get the form from their local authority office, but if you live in Poland you have to go to the Embassy in Warsaw and pay, I think Grif was telling me it was 600zl but it is cheaper in the UK.
Griff 17 | 67  
11 Aug 2008 /  #7
Hey mate,

If I was you I would try to go down polish route. Its hard to say, when you got your passport I imagine they did the checks on you then, so they should be able to provide a decree of no impediment.

If you go down english route then you need to go to your local council not to long before wedding and apply for your documents, this costs around £40 I think now, but then you still have to go to warsaw to the embassy to receive permission

They have not put the fee on the website but for what you need it will cost you around 250zl.

What religion are you both?
OP Max8240 2 | 7  
12 Aug 2008 /  #8
Yes, going down the Polish route is an option, but as yet I haven't applied for a Polish passport, something which I intend to do over the coming weeks.

I heard of an Irish girl who got married to a Polish guy, and got documents sorted with the Polish Embassy in London.

So maybe I wil try and phone the embassy 'again' or just turn up there with all my documents, Polish and English when I go to the consulate for my passport application.

How long is a decree of no impediment valid? Pointless me getting it sorted now, if its only valid for 3 months etc (Getting married in June 2009)

We are both Catholic
Griff 17 | 67  
13 Aug 2008 /  #9
This is it mate, you the impediment is maximum 3 months before. Over here my partner has just given all her documents to the church and they are doing it all.

Archives - 2005-2009 / UK, Ireland / I'm in the UK. Getting married in PolandArchived