Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Travel  % width 6

From Poland to Kaliningrad: car rental and insurance required

italianguy 1 | -  
11 Aug 2009 /  #1
Hello everyone!

I've been finding it difficult to get a car for rent allowed to go to Kaliningrad.
Some car rental agencies in Krakow told me their cars cannot cross the Russian border.
Do you know any car rental companies which allow me to cross the Russian border, go to Kaliningrad and go back to Poland?

Thank you!
snempaa 1 | 10  
5 Oct 2009 /  #2
Did you manage to find a rental company in Poland that allowed you to cross the border? Let me know, I want to do the same;)
30 Dec 2009 /  #3
Hi - what is necessary to travel by own uk right hand drive car from poland into kaliningrad I have euro light conversion kit blanking strips etc.
delphiandomine 88 | 18,116  
30 Dec 2009 /  #4
It's quite simple - you just need all the vehicle papers, such as MOT certificate, tax, V5, insurance documents, etc. You'll also need an International Driving Permit, and I believe that Russia is now accepting the Green Card. There's some random fees to be paid at the border, and you can expect all sorts of nonsense - but generally speaking, it shouldn't be too difficult.

But are you sure you want to drive in Russia with an RHD?
wildrover 98 | 4,436  
30 Dec 2009 /  #5
But are you sure you want to drive in Russia with an RHD?

Blimey , you don,t sell cars as well do you...? I think probably the guy does not at the last minute want to sell a car he is familiar with , and drive into Russia with an unfamiliar left hand drive car....As long as the guy is an experianced driver he should manage ok with a rhd car....I drove all over Russia . Latvia . Lithuania , Belarus , and Ukraine with a rhd car , and have driven one in Poland for five years....If you are a reasonably competant driver its possible to drive a car whatever side the wheel is on , and on either side of the road...just exercise a little more care....i suppose you are aware you will need a visa as well as all the other documents...?
convex 20 | 3,928  
30 Dec 2009 /  #6
I believe that Russia is now accepting the Green Card

Green card isn't accepted, you can buy liability insurance at the border.

You'll have to fill out a customs declaration form which was only in Russian where we crossed. You might look for a translation online before you go. They print up a customs receipt thingy that you need to show when you leave with the little exit slip of paper.

If your name isn't on the registration, you need a translated and notarized power of attorney from the owner. If you don't have this, they turn you around and you get wait in line to enter Poland.

Translated copies of the registration and the technical document would be a good idea too, you might be able to get across the border, but it's a fine when you get pulled over. Make a copy of the IDP and your license and give that to the police when they pull you over. Don't let some ******* traffic cop try to hold it for ransom.

Beware of GAI. There are always little control points at the entrance to the cities. Remember to obey the speed limits, don't cross any solid lines no matter how faint they are, and keep your seat belt on until the cop asks you to come to his car to pay your "spot fine". Don't part with more than 1000 rubles unless you've run someone over. If they persist, ask to go to the station to pay your fine.

I don't know of anyone that rents cars to Russia. You would need full coverage insurance which is ridiculously expensive in Russia. It would be cheaper to buy a beater and drive it over.

Archives - 2005-2009 / Travel / From Poland to Kaliningrad: car rental and insurance requiredArchived