Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Study  % width 73

anyone with CELTA?

Seanus 15 | 19,706  
6 Apr 2008 /  #31
Yeah, I've noticed that many highly qualified people are disgruntled whereas those at the 'lower' echelons are happy with their lot
Michal - | 1,865  
15 Apr 2008 /  #32
There is no snobbery with a CELTA or a Trinity Certificate and there are no 'letters' as such as someone has written. There certificates are only similar in standard to an N.V.Q.
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
15 Apr 2008 /  #33
CELTA are letters after ur name Michał. A CELTA is not an N.V.Q Michał. U don't pay 950 quid to get only an N.V.Q Michał. It is vocational in nature but so was my first uni course. But I c what u r saying.
Michal - | 1,865  
16 Apr 2008 /  #34
What do you get after your name then with a Trinity certificate? Or is it only CELTA that counts?
brazilii 8 | 97  
16 Apr 2008 /  #35
Does anyone know if there is a way to get CELTA from Poland???
Michal - | 1,865  
16 Apr 2008 /  #36
Try Kraków, I think there is at least one college which offers it full time during the summer months.
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
16 Apr 2008 /  #37
Trinity is almost on a par with CELTA. It really doesn't matter what u have after ur name. Look at Charles, he is a prince but is more of a ponce
oliver twist - | 121  
16 Apr 2008 /  #38

not sure!!! but you can get culture from poland. I only have full stop after my name, but what the f**k I still get by
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
16 Apr 2008 /  #39
Bell operate in Poland. I'm sure there have been postings about this option
Michal - | 1,865  
17 Apr 2008 /  #40
Look at Charles, he is a prince but

He has an M.A.!
MrBubbles 10 | 614  
17 Apr 2008 /  #41
Does anyone know if there is a way to get CELTA from Poland???

you can have mine. Cost - 1 pint
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
17 Apr 2008 /  #42
He has an M.A, WOW, many others do to. Whoop dee doo!! An M.A can be an undergraduate course. It is at Aberdeen Uni. It doesn't detract from the fact that he is a ponce, soon to land on Polish soil.
Michal - | 1,865  
18 Apr 2008 /  #43
a lot of undergraduate degrees in Scotland are automatically M.A.s. The undergraduate degree in Russian at St. Andrews is an M.A.
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
18 Apr 2008 /  #44
Exactly. All these classifications are meaningless to graduates who can't find jobs tho
RockyMason 19 | 250  
18 Apr 2008 /  #45
Amen to that! When my dad used to hire law enforcement officers he turned down people for probation jobs that had PHDs! The job market isn't wat it used to b for college graduates that is for sure. The starting salary in the US is pretty low for most majors. Under 35k. Take into consideration that some students come out with loans in excess of 30k and even sometimes in excess of 50k then u realize that there r tons of poor people with degrees.

To be a store manager at a department store they even usually only hire people with Ba degrees. Store managers do make alot more than most other new college grads can expect though. I know a manager at a Kmart that made 120k last year.
TheCodfather - | 2  
20 Apr 2008 /  #46
Getting back to the CELTA discussion, you can do the course at International House in Wrocław and Kraków. Plenty of schools in Poland will hire you without Trinity or Celta and you'll end up getting the ****** end of the stick, not getting any training or help, doing 'conversation classes' with dozen of groups of students whose names you'll know and generally being treated as a clueless chancer who couldn't get a job in their own country.
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
20 Apr 2008 /  #47
That's also true. I'm often asked what I'd do in my own country. I emerged from Scotland super qualified but wanted to travel and did so. Hence, I changed my direction. CELTA can give u a foot in the door but ur strength of character will ultimately govern where u can put urself. The notion of contacts is where it's at. U know the right people and u can pull the strings however u want.
Michal - | 1,865  
20 Apr 2008 /  #48
ltimately govern where u can put urself. The notion of contacts is where it's at. U know the right people and u can pull the strings however u want.

Good thinking. Have you every though about moving on further? In your position I would like to see and work in places far off the beaten track such as South Korea.
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
20 Apr 2008 /  #49
I've been to South Korea, though only for 3 days. I saw Seoul and 3 days was enough to form basic impressions. It would be quite easy to get such a transfer but I'd want to visit a place that I've never been to, e.g Peru or Chile
Michal - | 1,865  
20 Apr 2008 /  #50
I thought that the people seemed very friendly in South Korea and they say that the money is the best in the TESOL World too.
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
20 Apr 2008 /  #51
Their conditions are very good. They often offer free accommodation and other perks. The money is good compared to the cost of living. 4 of the people I worked with went there after their contracts were up and said the conditions were fantastic. The pollution was evident when I was there but, unless u live in a forest, u r likely 2 c it in many places. I enjoyed my short trip there.
Michal - | 1,865  
20 Apr 2008 /  #52
I was not aware that Korea was bad in a pollution sense but I was only there for a matter of hours on my way back from Australia so I am not the best judge maybe here.
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
20 Apr 2008 /  #53
It depends which standards u judge it by. I was in Seoul and the traffic churned out a lot of gases but Thailand was worse (in Bangkok). China, I've heard, is even worse. It's certainly bearable in Seoul.
lowfunk99 10 | 397  
3 May 2008 /  #54
What is better, CELTA or TEFL.

Both would be a 4 week course.
BubbaWoo 33 | 3,510  
4 May 2008 /  #55

there is no such thing as a 'TEFL' - it stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language and you can get qualifications that allow you to do this.

the CELTA is the cambridge certificate. it stands for Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults. it is considered by many as the leading TEFL qualification

you will also see TESOL. this stands for Teaching English to Speakers of other Languages and you can also get qualifications in this. the most widely recognised is the Trinity College London Certificate in TESOL

both courses are more or less the same - little to squable over. there are, however, a number of different providers who will offer you one or other of these courses.

when deciding which course to take you need to look at the recognition of the provider in the location you would like to teach. go for one of the more recognised and try top avoid joe bloggs 2 week online distance tefl/tesol certificate.

then its really just a choice of choosing a course based on your time, location and cost preferences
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
4 May 2008 /  #56
Like u BW, I'm sceptical of these online courses. There are many ways to learn new things but online, in this case, comes up short.
BubbaWoo 33 | 3,510  
4 May 2008 /  #57
i am a firm believer that you learn to teach by teaching - the more practical experience the better. obviously this not something an online course can provide although it can offer a valuable component in a blended learning programme
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
4 May 2008 /  #58
I think likewise. It takes some confidence to go in the classroom and conduct a long class. I've gotten used to it
Jon - | 3  
29 May 2009 /  #59
Where is the CELTA course available in Warsaw? Only at Bell School? Is it possible to take the course online?
Seanus 15 | 19,706  
29 May 2009 /  #60
Online is not recommended. It is often perceived as a duck-and-dodge way of doing it as there is no substitute for real classtime.

Harry is the man to ask. To my knowledge, only Bell but maybe International House and Berlitz?

Archives - 2005-2009 / Study / anyone with CELTA?Archived