Well, George8600, to put it mildly, you seem to be misinformed :-)
Some details (just for example):
Also with Russian mass industries providing to the east (e.g. Gazprom), you have the majority of Poland?s resources like gas, coal, steel, and so forth coming from Russia.
Poland has enough own coal for about 200 years... Power industry in Poland is based on coal (not oil or gas) so Poland is quite safe from that poing of view. There is some import from Russia, but also from RPA for example. Russia isn't in monopolistic position here.
Yes, Poland imports about half of needed steel, but more from EU countries (70% - at least in 2007). Russia isn't in monopolistic position here either...
Yes, Poland imports a lot of oil from Russia, but mostly because it is cheaper. Because of Naftoport Russia isn't in monopolistic position here either...
The only resource where Russia has monopol in Poland is gas but:
- as I wrote it is not main energetic resource in Poland
- in a few years there will be new LNG terminal in Swinoujscie = Russia will lose monopolistic position...
countries such as Ukraine are currently situated, that are paying nearly double for their gas/resources than the Poles
=> NOT TRUE, Ukraine is/was paing lower prices. Poland is paing market prices and is significant customer for Gasprom...
Poland in modern times cannot be denied that it has been helped much by its Russian neighbors. Masses within the military arsenals contain Russian made vehicles, tanks, and aircraft.
It is quite controversial to assume, that 50 years of building USSR led army was such beneficial for Polish economy. It was rather waste of resources.
Such as forcing the Euro or forcing all Polish central banks to merge with EU central banks.
Do you know that in Soviets times there was something called "transfer ruble" ? It was para currency used in internal RWPG settlements. There are many differences, overall if I can pick one from the two I would rather have Euro (which doesn't mean I'm entirely for changing PLN for Euro) :-)
Overall, you should rethink your points. My knowledge and experience says:
1. First option - every time in history Poles tried it, voluntarily or not, Russia exploited Poland. Besides, what are you talking about ? Just look what are achivements of CIS or URB. Is that in your opinion alternative for Poland? I have nothing against cooperation with Russia, but alliance as an alternative for the West is not an option.
2. Second option - number of positives vastly exceeds negatives. Besides, historically and culturally is much more natural.
All this has been done by Poland alone
Yes, Poland did well recently but not entirelly alone :-) Try to imagine our position without:
- EU market (for products and jobs)
- image of safe state (because of NATO and EU)
- EU funds for poorer regions...
It would be nice to be like Switzerland, but unfortunately history and geography matters.