Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Life  % width 21

Getting a NIP or PESEL

27 Dec 2006 /  #1
Hi can anyone help
Im in poland at the moment finaly finishing the purchase of an apartment with my polish girlfriend (nightmare which i will explan later)
has any one any info on getting a nip or pesel while im here
i wont be livng in poland full time for a little while yet but I want to start the pro\cess now whle im here on holidays

Frank 23 | 1,183  
27 Dec 2006 /  #2
nip or pesel

Plz explain....wot this/these are...?
OP derekyeates  
27 Dec 2006 /  #3
nip is number like our pps or rsi number frank so is pesel
Frank 23 | 1,183  
27 Dec 2006 /  #4
pps or rsi

further clarification.......soz!!!...plz....!!!
OP derekyeates  
27 Dec 2006 /  #5
what i need is some form of polish identification as irish passports and driving liecenses do not have home address on them so i was advised to get a nip or pesel which is like a tax number
Frank 23 | 1,183  
27 Dec 2006 /  #6
Ah...a National insurance number.....ask Wroclaw about this, ie e-mail him, am sure he knows as hes living in Poland.
Grzegorz_ 51 | 6,161  
27 Dec 2006 /  #7
Maybe I am wrong but I think that pesel is only for Poles and nip you may get from the tax office.
OP derekyeates  
27 Dec 2006 /  #8
thanks grzegorz have you any idea what they will want from me in the tax office

Grzegorz_ 51 | 6,161  
27 Dec 2006 /  #9
Looks like you need first... PESEL to get NIP :) So foreigners may have PESEL too and for PESEL you need to go to the town hall in a place where you live.
Wroclaw 44 | 5,384  
27 Dec 2006 /  #10
Follow advice from Grzegorz. PESEL first.
Kowalski 7 | 621  
27 Dec 2006 /  #11
First you need your residency. You can get a temporary residency by going to the local council for the town/village you live in. Or, to arrange permanent residency which lasts for 5 years. This requires a photo card.

Either is fine for arranging the PESEL. Permanent residency costs about 30zl to prepare the card, and takes about a month.

To work, you need the equivalent of the UK tax code. So, you'd need to apply for a NIP. This is also done at your local council for the town/village.
PoznanMan - | 9  
14 Aug 2007 /  #12
I am afraid Gregorz is talking out of his a$rse.. and thus Wroclaw is also doing the same. Kowalski is giving the best advice..but not quite accurate.

lets be more accurate..

NIP is a VAT number. To get a NIP you have to have a business.

NIP is not related to residency or PESEL

You can have a NIP without a PESEL

You can have residency without a PESEL

The NIP must be the RIGHT NIP, EU registered or NOT, it is illegal what Poland does with the NIP/VAT number
irishguy - | 2  
11 Sep 2007 /  #13
Hi Derek,
Its a bloody nightmare dealing with polish offices I am just in the final stages of getting both numbers and I have a residency card for the last 4 years, but the most important thing you must do is register yourself at the apartment and pay tax within the first year on the property. At the moment eu citizens do not need a residency card but you will find that smaller local govt offices will advise that you need a card. The only reason you will need a nip and pesel is if you are starting a business in Poland.
Wroclaw 44 | 5,384  
11 Sep 2007 /  #14
You can have residency without a PESEL

Not so.

"The PESEL is mandatory for all residents of Poland and for temporary residents living in Poland for over two months''
Firestorm 6 | 400  
11 Sep 2007 /  #15
am afraid Gregorz is talking out of his arse.. and thus Wroclaw is also doing the same.

Am sure your mother taught you better manners too.
There was no need for the insults. Gregorz did say...

Maybe I am wrong

Avalon 4 | 1,068  
12 Sep 2007 /  #16
I was given a "PESEL" number automatically after living here for 3 months. I actually went to the town offices to get one as I had purchased a new car. Was told when I got there that I had already been given one. It would have been nice if somebody had bothered to tell me, would have saved me a trip and having to que yet again, but, that would be too
Krzysztof 2 | 973  
12 Sep 2007 /  #17
NIP is a VAT number. To get a NIP you have to have a business.

to apply for a NIP. This is also done at your local council for the town/village.

these informations aren't accurate

NIP (Numer Identyfikacji Podatkowej - Tax Identification Number) exists in 2 ways:

1/ corporate NIP (any company must apply for it, along with REGON number, before starting their activity.
2/ personal (individual) NIP - any tax payer must have one, even if you are employed by someone else, you simply need this number to send your tax declaration to the Polish IRS every year/month (so when you work here or buy/sell something, which is subject to taxes), it may also be required in other situations, I'm not aware of.

Normally, you get your NIP from Urząd Skarbowy (Polish IRS), that's at least how Polish citizens do, I never heard about receiving it from the Town Hall.
Avalon 4 | 1,068  
13 Sep 2007 /  #18
Krzysztof.........I never said "Town Hall", I said "Town Offices"!!!!
Krzysztof 2 | 973  
13 Sep 2007 /  #19
and I quoted the posts that contained the inaccurate info, it wasn't your post I was referring to, I think it's clear
dtaylor 9 | 823  
15 Sep 2007 /  #20
if you have have a local e.u citenzines centre near to you, you can get your nip there pretty easily. you need passport, confimation of your employer, contract from house your living(including your landlords contract of ownership) and thats it really.
Chema - | 3  
18 Sep 2007 /  #21

PESEL is also neccessary if you want to go to the medical doctor.

You have a good source of information at:

This is for research but I imagine that also will work for you.

Archives - 2005-2009 / Life / Getting a NIP or PESELArchived