Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Life  % width 5

With a Canadian tourist VISA, what happen if stay just few days >90 days?

edliao 2 | 1  
19 May 2008 /  #1
I am a Canadian studying in Poland. Supposedly, I should have entered Poland with a student VISA. However, when I was applying for a student VISA from Polish Consulates in Canada earlier this year (during a 2-week break back in Canada), the consular officer in Canada told me to enter Poland with tourist visa first because they could not issue the student visa in 2 weeks.

I knew my Canadian tourist visa will expire in 90 days since the date of my arrival. I was told that if I could get stamped on passport showing records of “exit” and “entry”, it should work to extend my tourist visa. So, visited France before Mar 30 (that’s date when Schengen became effective at Polish airports). I thought this would work because I did get stamped upon arrival to and departure from French airport.

When I came back to Poland, the custom did not stamp my passport, but I did see him scanned my passport as if some record was made.

Until recently, a friend of mine mentioned to me she was advised to visit non-Schengen countries for extending her tourist visa (she did so in early May after Schengen is already fully effective in Poland)

Now, even though I have stamps from France which could prove my absence in Poland, I am worry that my visit to France did not count to extend my tourist visa. Then I have to count from the day I came to Poland from Canada, which would be more than 100 days already.

Though, if my visit to France could count to extend my tourist visa, it still expires 4 days before my last exam. I heard some people manage to leave the country without problem after their tourist visas expired few days (>90).

Could anybody tell me what I should do to make sure I can leave Poland without any problem after my semester finishes in late June?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advices and suggestions.
plk123 8 | 4,149  
19 May 2008 /  #2
talk to a canadian consul.
dtaylor 9 | 823  
19 May 2008 /  #3
You really dont have a problem, my advice would be to finish your course, then leave.
Your visit to France wont extend your visa limit.
plk123 8 | 4,149  
19 May 2008 /  #4
don't screw around with this kind of thing, talk to your country's representatives.
dtaylor 9 | 823  
19 May 2008 /  #5
plk makes a good point, but most of the fellow americans, or australians here really dont care, my best mate, who is from the US left the country after spending a year here(90 days was his limit). he had no problem leaving, and came back a few months ago. But i think its better to consult your embassy, though what is right in law, aint always what happens.

Archives - 2005-2009 / Life / With a Canadian tourist VISA, what happen if stay just few days >90 days?Archived