Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Law  % width 5

Residence card-Karta pobytu issuance

mylesg 7 | 14  
17 Dec 2009 /  #1
I just successfully finished going through the "painful" Karta Pobytu process. We were called and told our decision was done and we can pick up our decision document. Unfortunately I did not take my translator with me to completely understand this next part.

We received a (positive) decision letter for each family member, we signed the forms they gave us and got the stamps on the letter. Then went and paid the 50PLN for each card at the Kasa. It was lucky, as our 90 day tourist VISA was about to run out.

The Decyzja letter indicates we have been granted residency for a fixed period not to exceed.....

Here comes the question-

However, we did not actually get a physical card (yet)- this is where I needed my translator.

Do they make the card and you have to go back and get it? Do you need other documents for actual card? What is the actual card used for??? How long does it take? All I have are the decision letters with all the stamps on it.

Nothing is mentioned on how/when I get an actual card.

Finally, do they put some sort of stamp in your passport- or is that what the card basically does?

PS- if it makes any difference to the above, we have US passports.

scottie1113 7 | 898  
17 Dec 2009 /  #2
If you have a favorable decision you're good to go. It always takes e about four months to get my card after receiving a decision and yes, you have to go back to pick it up. They may call you or you may have to call them. Eventually you'll get it. You won't get a special stamp in your passport. That's what the card is for. Congratulations.

Oh, I also have a US passport, not that it makes any difference. You shouldn't need any more documents to get the card itself, except make sure to take your passport with you. The card simply provides you with proof that you have legal residency. You may never have to show it to anyone and I don't carry it or my passport with me.
OP mylesg 7 | 14  
17 Dec 2009 /  #3
Thanks for this great answer. So what do we do at airports (customs)- without a card for a few months, (and if we want to travel)? Do we show our US passport and the decision letter to either get into or out of Poland?
scottie1113 7 | 898  
17 Dec 2009 /  #4
If you have to show your passport, keep your decision letter in it. You'll be fine with this. It depends where you're going, in the Schengen zone or not. Don't stress about this. With your decision you can go anywhere that doesn't require another visa.
delphiandomine 88 | 18,456  
17 Dec 2009 /  #5
With your decision you can go anywhere that doesn't require another visa.

This is not entirely true for citizens that need a visa to enter Schengen - not all of the Schengen countries apply the rules equally, and some countries will demand a visa from someone that already has permission to stay in another Schengen country, contrary to EU law.

Archives - 2005-2009 / Law / Residence card-Karta pobytu issuanceArchived