Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Law  % width 10

D-type visa (long stay) in Poland - I cannot leave Poland?

Raj_ryder 10 | 106  
24 Nov 2009 /  #1
My freinds from my university are planning to go on a trip to prague during christmas. i have D-type long stay(1 year) POLISH VISA and i didnt know that i couldnt leave poland when i got my visa from my i was asking around and people are tellng me that i can apple for a temporary residence card only 45 days before expiry of my visa. that sucks because i cant go to prague then. is there some way i can get a residency card in a month or so? or can i change my visa to something like a schenegen visa(student type)?
24 Nov 2009 /  #2
Hi there...I'm not sure about converting a D-type visa to a schengen visa, without actually going through the entire process. You can travel in Schengen region if you have temporary residence card in Poland (called Karta Pobytu). It takes about 6 weeks to obtain this card (of course, after few follow-up calls and visits). Ensure to provide every document they ask for, in the first go. In my case, I thought I'd submitted all but received a call after 3 weeks stating they require additional document and that delayed the process for me.

Good Luck!
Raijin 1 | 20  
24 Nov 2009 /  #3
No. It is impossible to get a residence permit in a month. 45 days is ideal term. In reality, it spend about 2 month or more as visitorP wrote on previous post. Unfortunatelly, I do not know whether we can exchange the kind of visa.

When will your visa be expired? You can have trip to Prague having submitted all documents which are required for residence permit if the trip will be short (for example, for 1 week).
delphiandomine 88 | 18,116  
25 Nov 2009 /  #4
Of course, the alternative is to simply obtain a Schengen short term visa :)
Cardno85 31 | 973  
25 Nov 2009 /  #5
Or you could risk it and hope that no-one checks on your trip. I don't know, but I wouldn't imagine that moving between Poland and Czech Republic is strictly monitored...I have heard of loads of people driving to Czech to buy beer and come back without anyone saying anything.
OP Raj_ryder 10 | 106  
25 Nov 2009 /  #6
not sure if thats such a good idea...

Of course, the alternative is to simply obtain a Schengen short term visa :)

i could but it takes time...

anything else and yeah my visa is like 1 feckin year
dtaylor5632 18 | 1,999  
25 Nov 2009 /  #7
I done the trip a few years back, when camping on the border inside Poland. Although I was allowed to go through the border no problems, they are strict when checking your visa's ect. If you're not from the EU, I wouldn't chance it.
delphiandomine 88 | 18,116  
26 Nov 2009 /  #8
I don't know, but I wouldn't imagine that moving between Poland and Czech Republic is strictly monitored.

The problem is not so much the border anymore, but the fact that since Schengen, border guards can check you literally anywhere. It's not inconceviable that they might pull him in the street for a random ID check (especially as he's Indian), only to discover that he illegally entered the Czech Republic.

i could but it takes time...

For a Schengen visa? Nah, not really - you can get them pretty quickly. It might be worth actually asking the Foreigners office in wherever you are if they can give you a Schengen visa - as ridiculous as it sounds, it might just be possible.
OP Raj_ryder 10 | 106  
2 Dec 2009 /  #9
hmmm okay thts a thought,... :-d yes it sounds a little imagine they'll ask for sufficient found and this and that and the usual ******** paperwork...okay i think thats the best idea

thanks ppl
14 Dec 2009 /  #10
go by train - they only do criminal checks on your passport while you are in Poland. There are no border checks. You didn't say where you were from so you may or may not have the right to enter CR. (visitor visa) Otherwise apply for a CR schengen short stay visa at the CR emabassy in Warsaw.

The chances of the goons on the train looking twice at your passport before they swipe it through their mobile terminal is not significantly different to zero, If you lose your passport however then you are screwed anyway!

Go have a good Christmas and a merry new year.

Oh I see you are an Indian National and are not on the list,which,citizens,are,not,required,to,have,a,visa,wh en,entering,Poland,2347.html

Sorry! you may still be able to apply for a visa, I would suggest using a consulate near the border, they may be empathetic to your cause and generally have much quicker turn around times, than in Warsaw or Krakow

Archives - 2005-2009 / Law / D-type visa (long stay) in Poland - I cannot leave Poland?Archived