Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Law  % width 9

Register for VAT in Poland

rbyrne 1 | 3  
11 Mar 2009 /  #1
We are a Limited company who need to register for VAT in Poland for trade purposes. We are not based in Poland but in Ireland. Does anyone know if it is possible to register online? We have started the process by opening a bank account in Poland. I know the next step is to obtain an NIP but cannot find any of these forms online. Please help.
Olasz - | 69  
11 Mar 2009 /  #2
why not to ask "the source", drop them a line or two:
OP rbyrne 1 | 3  
11 Mar 2009 /  #3
The site suggested appears to deal mainly with customs. Does Poland have an online tax/revenue website?
benszymanski 8 | 465  
11 Mar 2009 /  #4
I had a similar situation - I needed my UK company to have a Polish NIP number to pay a Polish employee. In the end I found it easier to open a Polish company to pay the Polish employee, and then bill the UK company from the Polish one.

I would be amazed if you can do this online. The Polish authorities aren't quite as technologically advanced as the rest of europe.

But can I ask why you need a Polish VAT number? We are all in the EU so is your Irish VAT number not sufficient?
OP rbyrne 1 | 3  
12 Mar 2009 /  #5
We are shipping product to Poland to a customer hub and then sold on. Unfortunately, the end customer requires VAT registration.
benszymanski 8 | 465  
12 Mar 2009 /  #6
Who is issuing the invoice to the end customer? You? If so why can't use just use your Irish VAT number?
OP rbyrne 1 | 3  
12 Mar 2009 /  #7
No it will be the intermediary who will issue invoice to the end customer

It is really our customer who is imposing this requirement on us as they will be acting as a distributor in Poland. Does anyone know where we can send the NIP-1 form. Also is it possible to register for VAT ourselves or do we need a tax representative based in Poland?
benszymanski 8 | 465  
12 Mar 2009 /  #8
What you are saying doesn't make sense. What difference does it make to your customer if you have an Irish or a Polish VAT number? None. That's the whole point of being in the EU. I don't even know if it is possible for you as a non-Polish company to get a Polish VAT number.

As a non-Polish company to get a Polish NIP number you have to write to the Urząd Skarbowy in Warsaw and enclose all your company documents (originals or certified copies) including Polish translations. But I really don't see the point....
12 Mar 2009 /  #9
I just discussed this issue with my accountant! It does make sense and you do need to register for VAT in Poland if you're selling on to an intermediary. It's a relatively straightforward (for Poland) process but I strongly recommend you go through an accountant here to do it as it will inevitably require more paperwork than they tell you at first.

Archives - 2005-2009 / Law / Register for VAT in PolandArchived