I would like to know if anyone can provide any tips for renting in Poznan?
Yep - when you come here, give me a shout and I'll help you out. :) It's a shame I was on holiday when you were last here - I could've helped you out then.
As for your questions -
1) Do I need to have a bank account before I can rent an apartment?
It's advisable - everything is done by bank transfer here. You don't *need* it - but it makes life easier. However, bank accounts can be set up quickly and painlessly.
2) Do I need to have a permenant address before I an open a bank account? If so, do you think they will accept my work address?
Passport is all you need - they shouldn't have any issues with your work address for correspondence purposes. However, you can start to rent the place and then open an account - it won't be an issue.
3) Can anyone recommend a good bank that allows for wires between the US and Poland at an affordable rate
What you can do is use a service like moneybookers.com :)
(Vaasa, who are you working for? I'm wondering if you aren't working for a certain employer who has an office in San Francisco too, owned by a certain guy who is rather famous...if you are - good ;)).
4) Is there an equivalent in Poland to the renters insurance we have here in the US?
Insurance is cheap - maybe 100 dollars a year at most? I'll do some research on this for you - but anyway, it's widely available.
6) Are there particular types of buildings or complex's to look for when I rent, or to avoid?
Don't worry about this - give me a shout when you come, and we'll find you something decent. :)
7) Any other recommendations or things to think about as a US citizen living in Poznan who does not speak Polish
Yes - know me - and I'll make sure you get a soft landing :) No, in all seriousness, the city is quite well set-up for foreigners.
My company office is located near the Stary Browar shopping complex, and I would like to stay in walking distance
There are some interesting flats in that area - I know one block in particular that might serve your needs well without being ridiculously expensive. But - send me a PM with your budget and I'll do some investigative work for you.