The BEST Guide to POLAND
Unanswered  |  Archives 
User: Guest

Home / Real Estate  % width posts: 12

Can a registered Poland tenant be kicked out, and unregistered ?

anish_gdansk 1 | 2
28 Sep 2010 #1

I am renting a flat here in Gdansk, and I was registered by the landlord in Urzad Miasto. He didn't want to give me a written contract, to avoid taxes. He had told me, that as long as things remain fine between us, there is no need of a written contract. If things start to go bad, we can set down the rules, and create an agreement in paper. The registration was only temporary for 9 months.

There is another Polish flatmate, with whom I had to share the place. The landlord happens to be a friend of hers. Now, this flatmate is creating problems, and trying to convince the landlord to kick me out, and unregister me. The landlord was suppose to furnish my room, with a bed and a wardrobe, but she now doesn't want him to buy any furniture at all.

Is it possible that the landlord can unregister me and kick me out of the house. ( I have no problem with rent, and other conditions. )


A troubled expat !!
convex 20 | 3,978
28 Sep 2010 #2
Sounds like it's time to move...
28 Sep 2010 #3
Yes, it does sound like it's time to move...

But registration (I assume you mean zameldowanie) gives you no rights to the place, and if it's a temporary registration it expires at the end of that period anyway. But proving that you've been living there counts for a lot. Have you got any receipts (or bank transfer confirmations) for the rent? For utility bills? Can anyone else vouch that you've been living there? In Poland it's illegal to evict someone onto the street so if it comes down to it, you can cause your landlord a lot of problems. Paradoxically, a new law was introduced earlier this year where the landlord and tenant go to a notary and sign an agreement where the tenant gives an address he/she can be evicted to if the need arises, but I don't know how well that's worked out in practice (knowing Poland, it'll be as much use as a chocolate fireguard).

So yes, look for somewhere else and next time make sure you get a written tenancy agreement.
28 Sep 2010 #4
It sound like either you or your flatmate need to move out. As for landlord, always always pay your rent by bank transfer and put in the transfer title "rent for [address], [month, year]". Your landlord is not going to be declaring the income which he gets and so if push ever comes to shove, your bank transfer orders can drop him right in the shiit at the tax office.
OP anish_gdansk 1 | 2
28 Sep 2010 #5
The fact is, I just started to live here ( 1 week ) ..So, I haven't paid any utility bills, or rent bills yet. We agreed on a bank transfer, so that is not a problem in the future. My temporary registration expires in June, 2011. There is a security that has an office below the flat, and they know that I live here. I also have some guests often ( but I don't think my guests count as witness ) The landlord didn't get any notary agreements signed with me. ( Even though I was very eager for all formalities ).

My flatmate is a Polish citizen, but she is not registered here. I am looking for a new place, but it takes time, to find a landlord that will register you ( I mean Zameldowanie ). So, I will have to stay in this house for the moment. ( But again, I don't want to be bullied by this flatmate, and live uncomfortably, even if for the moment. )
28 Sep 2010 #6
You could just speak to your landlord and tell him that you're looking for a new place because of how your flatmate is behaving. If he doesn't care about that, you could ask him if you can still be registered at his place even when you don't live there.

Can I ask why you think you need to be registered somewhere?
Olaf 6 | 956
15 Oct 2010 #7
Without a written contract you cannot fight - just move to a better place and this time have a contract.

Can I ask why you think you need to be registered somewhere?

- ekhm... because of the 10 Apr 174 act that ssays so. It's still valid, but 'zameldowanie' is often not conducted.
wildrover 98 | 4,451
15 Oct 2010 #8
Before you leave....put itching powder in all your flatmates knickers...
15 Oct 2010 #9
Toothbrush up the arse, get a photo of it and then post the photo to her a few months later.
Rogalski 5 | 94
15 Oct 2010 #10
Such tactics are childish and vindictive if not downright disgusting ... and just the sort of thing I'd do in a similar situation.
27 cm long
24 Jun 2018 #11
My sister in law's son has been living with his grandmother in her house in Poland for 7 years now. There is no formal rental agreement or contract. He has stayed there as a guest. He pays no rent, has no job, does nothing but play video games & party. He has however rebuilt the garage into a workshop where he claims to make items to sell at markets. My mother in law wants to kick him out but how? He has lived there long enough to probably be considered a resident or a tenant of the house, even though he has never paid any rent at all. He is not registered as living there with any government agency. I understand that ; under Polish law, tenants have a lot of rights & that is almost impossible to legally evict him. My question is, is my nephew in law a guest ( which would make it easier maybe to evict him) or a tenant based upon what I have said ? He also physically abuses my mother in law all the time. Is there no choice but to bribe him to leave or is there some other alternative?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for any information.
dolnoslask 6 | 2,986
24 Jun 2018 #12
He also physically abuses my mother in law all the time

This is the key, she needs to report him to the Police or the straz miejska, they have the ability to intervene and kick him out of the property, this happens all the time where I live, drunk/druggie family members etc.

Home / Real Estate / Can a registered Poland tenant be kicked out, and unregistered ?