The BEST Guide to POLAND
Unanswered  |  Archives 
User: Guest

Home / Law  % width posts: 14

Polish Passport and Polish Citizenship (dual with American)

19 Aug 2012 #1
I am looking to obtain a polish passport and citizenship. Well dual citizenship american/polish. Here is the background, my father was from Pruszkow, Poland. He came to the U.S. in 1987 and he was later naturalized as a U.S. citizen. So i'm not sure if he lost his polish citizenship. Both my Grandparents were born in Poland and were citizens. My grandmother remarried another polish man but I think that it doesn't change any facts. Am I qualified for citizenship? If not through my father than my grandmother? Any answers would help.
MoOli 9 | 480
19 Aug 2012 #2
my kids have dual since 2000 i obtained poish papers by being married to one in 4 1/2 yrs its very easy if u have documents and to get documents is easy als being first genration,paperwork helps a lot and gettng polish birth certificates etc is easy dont let em brit english teachers discourage u on this forum till u doin it right its easy i have it!need help emailme.

but i have to declare even my bANK ACT and income AS ITS punishable by 100k mandatory by US laws!suks!
Zazulka 3 | 129
19 Aug 2012 #3
Polish nationality law says that a child born to a Polish parent is a Polish citizen at birth. It doesn't matter where the child was born. Even If only one parent is Polish and the child was born outside Poland, the child is Polish citizen. If a parent doesn't want the child to be a Polish citizen, Polish citizenship for the child can be disclaimed within 3 months of the child's birth.

If you father didn't do it then you are Polish citizen already. You just need a Polish passport and most importantly PESEL (same as SIN in US)

Your father didn't loose his Polish citizenship just because he became an US citizen.

Here is some info on how you can confirm your Polish citizenship:
Confirmation of Polish citizenship
Citizens who do not have valid documents proving Polish citizenship (a Polish passport or ID) or whose personal data and citizenship cannot be ascertained, may apply for confirmation of Polish citizenship.

Citizens over 18 years old, who were born outside of Poland and/or have never possessed documents proving their Polish citizenship (a Polish passport or ID), prior to applying for the Polish passport at the Consulate must obtain a certificate confirming their Polish citizenship.

Certificate of confirmation of Polish citizenship or its loss, or refusal of its confirmation, is issued by a Provincial Governor (Wojewoda). Applicants residing abroad submit an application through the Consulate according to their place of residence. After verification, the application is transferred by the Consulate to the Provincial Governor Office, in accord with the applicant's last place of residence in Poland (in case of the applicants who have never resided in Poland - to the Provincial Governor Office in Warsaw). The decision of the Wojewoda is forwarded to the applicant through the the person residing in Poland authorized by an applicant for the service of correspondence.. from the Provincial Governor's Office.

OP Jennagee88
19 Aug 2012 #4
Thank you I will read up on the information you provided.
Jennagee88 - | 2
19 Aug 2012 #5
What would be the benefits of having both passports? I want it for personal reasons. I want to be able to go to Poland and stay longer than 90 days if I have to. Go to university as polish citizen and not U.S. when I go to Warsaw.
ShortHairThug - | 1,103
19 Aug 2012 #6
Am I qualified for citizenship?

You are Polish by blood, you should have no problem obtaining Polish passport provided you have your dads paperwork in order. He did not lose his citizenship either by being naturalized but the process might take some time if you don't have proper documents on hand. Start working on it as soon as possible if you plan on going to school in Poland anytime soon. The embassy staff are not known for being expedient in those matters or very helpful over the phone,a trip to the nearest consulate in person is requirwd to get the process rolling.
Jennagee88 - | 2
19 Aug 2012 #7
What paperwork would I need? I have his death certificate and I already sent a request for his birth certificate. Is there anything important I need?
ShortHairThug - | 1,103
20 Aug 2012 #8
What paperwork would I need?

While you wait for your dads' documents don't forget your own. The document that will ultimately confirm the information contained in the application is your own birth certificate which btw is in English. If the document is a foreign documents it is necessary to translate it into Polish by a sworn translator. It is possible to use the services of a professional translator in the U.S., but then such document must undergo consular legalization unless it was originally issued with apostille clause . Any Document that was translated should be submitted in person to the consulate to certify it making it legally acceptable in Poland before you submit them with your application for confirmation of citizenship, there is a $40 fee for that service. Also a copy of your current ID as well as some document legally testifying to your current marital status, which are usually obtained at the Secretary of State office, both of those will be in English so translate them and certify them as well.
gjene 14 | 204
28 Aug 2012 #9

check out a website by the name of 'easy citizenship in Poland' and go to through the forums and into the Poland one. Then into the Polish citizenship pt 3. Once there, ask for Curious Poland. Ask for a posting that he made since he details what kind of paperwork you would need in order to apply for citizenship. His posting details somewhat in order the paperwork should be presented in. His posting is dated January 2007. I have the printout and could scan it for you if you wish or unable to find the forum on the website mentioned above.

Another way to find the reference I am talking about is to google it and using 'Polish Citizenship/Polish Passport through Polish parents/ancestors' and it is by curious Poland. Let me know if you found it or not.
delphiandomine 88 | 18,322
28 Aug 2012 #10
His posting details somewhat in order the paperwork should be presented in. His posting is dated January 2007.

The law has recently changed and his posting will be out of date now.

All paperwork should now be in accordance with the law of 2009, which for interested readers, formally contains a provision to regain Polish citizenship when it was previously stripped under the previous 1920/1951/1962 acts.
MimisPapa - | 2
29 Aug 2012 #11
[Moved from]: Dual citizenship (first generation Polish-American)

My father, who is now deceased, and his entire family, were born in Poland. I am first generation Polish-American. Do I automatically have dual citizenship? I would love to visit Poland in the near future and find out more about my heritage, of which I am very proud.
gjene 14 | 204
29 Aug 2012 #12
Regardless of the fact of the posting being dated from 2007, it is just a guideline in order to put the appropriate paperwork together. That is why I made reference to it. The way he presents the list should make it a lot easier for Jennagee88 to follow through and to determine if she has all the paperwork and what she needs to look for to fill in the gaps. That way she will be better prepared when she deals with a lawyer in order to see if she will qualify for what she wants.

Besides, even if the laws have changed, she can still use the posting to figure things out with the paperwork prior to her application.
30 Aug 2012 #13
If your parent is Polish then you are Polish by blood. You have to go through formal processes first, which can be rather stressful, but you get through it. After it you can cross borders freely. Also, since Poland is in the EU, you can also cross into other EU countries, besides Poland, without a visa. Definitely worth the effort if you are going to travel.
MimisPapa - | 2
30 Aug 2012 #14
Thank you so much for this information !

Home / Law / Polish Passport and Polish Citizenship (dual with American)