The BEST Guide to POLAND
Unanswered  |  Archives 
User: Guest

Home / Law  % width posts: 27

'Karta Pobytu' & long-term visa

juli25 5 | 22
26 Jan 2012 #1
Hi all,
please help to understand how it works: my husband applied for long-term Visa, basing on the work permit issued by Polish authorities (he's received job-contract for 18 months).

According to our understanding, he was supposed to get a visa, valid for 1 year period, but local Consulate granted visa for 120 days only , and explained that his next step should be applying for 'Karta Pobuty' ,once he arrives to Poland, in order to legalize his further stay in Poland...

Please explain what does it mean? is there a risk that after 120 days he will have to leave, if for any reason polish authorities will refuse to issue this 'Karta Pobuty'?

Thanks a lot for any comments.
JonnyM 11 | 2,615
26 Jan 2012 #2
A lot depends on what country he is a citizen of.
OP juli25 5 | 22
26 Jan 2012 #3
what is the difference between long-term visa and 'Karta Pobuty', from legal and practical point of view?
love_sunil80 14 | 127
26 Jan 2012 #4
IF someone has a visa still ideally has to apply for Karta Pobytu, I dont know what is long term visa according to you. Most of the people get not more then one year visa and they extend it by applying for karta pobytu. Karta pobytu for non EU nationals is usually not more then 2 years at a stretch provided is not eligible for Permanent residence card.

As per your quote I understand you and your spouse are non EU nationals. Your spouse has received visa for 120 days which is good enough to apply for Karta Pobytu. Usually they give residence visa type D which is minimum for 3 months and once he is in Poland he can apply for Karta pobytu (Residence card). Since he has a contract for 18 months he should be able to get Karta pobytu provided his company gives all the documents required by the office and he follows the correct procedure (one of the procedure: Apply for residence card minimum 45 days before the end of visa). I hope this helps.
OP juli25 5 | 22
26 Jan 2012 #5
thank you for the input

is there any difference in rights for those who holds long-term visa and those who have the residence card?
love_sunil80 14 | 127
26 Jan 2012 #6
Still not able to understand your question. Can you be more precise what exactly you want to know?
OP juli25 5 | 22
26 Jan 2012 #7
IF someone has a visa still ideally has to apply for Karta Pobytu

sorry, I haven't seen this sentence first time I read your message
I understand that visa and "karta pobytu" are 2 different things, although both of them legalize someone's stay in Poland for certain period.

what I'm trying to figure out is - does "karta pobytu" gives you any advantages as a resident vs standard working visa?
JonnyM 11 | 2,615
26 Jan 2012 #8
You're getting mixed up. There isn't a 'working visa'. Karta Pobytu is a residence card. There are also work permits which are only required for citizens of certain countries. If your husband is from one of those countries (where is he from, by the way?), he will need both. He cannot 'get' a work permit himself. His employer has to apply for it.
OP juli25 5 | 22
30 Jan 2012 #9
I'm quite sure that I'm mixed up...this issue is very new to me...
The employer applied for the work permit of my husband, and already got it. It was also transferred to the Consulate in order to get the visa. The issue is that the employer was absolutely sure that my husband will get visa for 1 year.

My husband is of german origin, although he doesn't hold german citizenship at this moment (he is in the process to restore it, but it will take another few months to get the "ausweis", and he starts working in February, so until then he will need this Visa, karta pobytu or whatever it is...)
30 Jan 2012 #10
Your husband's employer actually received the promise of a work permit. Once your husband has his visa from the consulate, that can be used to get the actual work permit. If the promesa is for a year, the employer can be confident that that visa will be for a year.
JonnyM 11 | 2,615
30 Jan 2012 #11
The employer applied for the work permit of my husband, and already got it. It was also transferred to the Consulate in order to get the visa.

That should be OK. Your husband's employer should use the services of an immigration lawyer. They aren't expensive and can speed it up and make it simpler. Even if they don't it should be alright, given that he has a work permit and a 120 day visa. He should start the process immediately he arrives, since the waiting time can be lengthy. If I may ask, what is your husband's current citizenship?
OP juli25 5 | 22
30 Jan 2012 #12
Harry, he got the visa already, but the Consulate granted it only until the end of May 2012...4 months.
30 Jan 2012 #13
That is a little bit strange.
delphiandomine 88 | 18,163
30 Jan 2012 #14
Makes me wonder if they suspect that he's going to do a runner, yet can't find the legal basis to deny the visa.
30 Jan 2012 #15
and explained that his next step should be applying for 'Karta Pobuty' ,once he arrives

Yep this happened to me too, it's nothing to worry about. I arrived from the U.K (so didn't need a work VISA) and registered myself. Without a PESEL number they will only register you for 3 months reoccurring, so I applied for my PESEL and now have my Karta Pobuty for 2 years. (it took about 2 weeks) What they are saying sounds correct to me. I've now registered a company in Gmina and am waiting for my NIB and REGON numbers to come through, then everything will be done for me.

Can anyone here tell me 480 Zloty per month for ZUS, does this sound right?
Wroclaw 44 | 5,379
31 Jan 2012 #16

there is an english version (somewhere)
OP juli25 5 | 22
31 Jan 2012 #17
Many thanks for all the comments

so I applied for my PESEL and now have my Karta Pobuty for 2 years

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is PESEL?
31 Jan 2012 #18
One's number in the Universal Electronic System for the Registration of the Population, one's national identification number. In theory they are required for all residents of Poland who are here for more than 12 months but in practice they are not needed.
Jimmu 2 | 156
31 Jan 2012 #19
As long as you don't want to have a phone, cable TV, electrical service, trash pickup, bank account itd.
JonnyM 11 | 2,615
31 Jan 2012 #20
I have all of that without a PESEL. And I've never had any problem at all.
31 Jan 2012 #21
As long as you don't want to have a phone, cable TV, electrical service, trash pickup, bank account itd.

I had all of that years before I got a PESEL number (I also bought a flat and bought & registered a car before I got a PESEL number).
delphiandomine 88 | 18,163
31 Jan 2012 #22
but in practice they are not needed.

One notable thing - you can't get a Polish driving licence without one. Of course, if you have an EU licence, there's no point bothering with a Polish licence anyway.

Those things mentioned are easily got though.
22 Jan 2018 #23
I'm Canadian and I used to work in Warsaw. I got a karta pobytu (expires in 2019) good for 3 years and a work permit from my former employer. I quit my quit in 2017 and I'm now back to Canada. My question is : How long can I stay in Poland with my karta pobytu without a work permit?
3 Feb 2018 #24
Hi All, I have a question with this Visa called karta pobytu. I am from India and want to know whether I can apply for this visa and then search for a job in Poland. Is this a likely situation.

DominicB - | 2,707
3 Feb 2018 #25
No. You have to find a job BEFORE you come to Poland. You can get a karta pobytu only AFTER you come to Poland. There is no visa for Indians that allows them to come to Poland first and then look for a job. You have to have a job BEFORE you come.
franklinstacks - | 1
2 Oct 2018 #26

US citizen long term stay - visa, karta pobytu questions

Apologies if this has been covered ad nauseum (I have indeed checked previous threads) but I am confused as to what I need to do upon arriving in Poland. My intention is to be with my girlfriend, who is a French national and living in Wrocław, with a job and a flat already.

I understand that as an American, I am visa exempt for 90 days, and also that the limitation to be out of Schengen 90 out of 180 days does not apply to US citizens - I simply can leave before the 90 days is up, leave to a non-Schengen country, and return to Poland. I have been told by US officials at State Dept. that this is however up to the discretion of the border agent. I guess they don't want people abusing this, but I reckon once or twice should be okay.

I am not sure whether I am supposed to get a Type D visa (which a Polish consular officer suggested) so I can stay more than 90 days, or a karta pobytu, which I have read here obviates the need for a visa at all. Any suggestions? Do I need one or the other, or both?

Also, do I qualify for either? I have looked at the requirements and it seems fuzzy. I don't have a job or family member, not a student, etc. I have enough personal wealth to last for a few years, however.

Thanks for any of your thoughts!
udarkness 1 | 9
14 Jan 2019 #27

Does anybody have experience about getting the "long-term EU permit" in Poland?

I wonder if the "long-term EU permit" can be granted based on 5 years of legal residence (temporary stay and work permits), or it is only for Blue card holders.

What kind of document did you use to prove your polish language skills? something like the one described in this website Was it necessary? (talking about recent cases)

Home / Law / 'Karta Pobytu' & long-term visa