Welcome to the double/triple/quadriple negation.
I just could not stop myself from quoting this fine piece about double negation from Stanisław Lem, Cyberiada - Jak Ocalał Świat, How the World was Saved:
Ale oto trzeci rozkaz: Maszyno! Masz zrobić Nic!
Maszyna przez dłuższy czas w ogóle się nie ruszała. Klapaucjusz jął zacierać z zadowolenia ręce, Trurl zaś rzekł:
- O co ci chodzi? Kazałeś jej nic nie robić, więc nic nie robi!
- Nieprawda. Kazałem jej zrobić Nic, a to co innego.
- Też coś! Zrobić Nic a nie zrobić nic - znaczy jedno i to samo.
- Skądże! Miała zrobić Nic, a tymczasem nie zrobiła nic, więc wygrałem. Nic bowiem, mój ty przemądrzały kolego, to nie takie sobie zwyczajne nic, produkt lenistwa i niedziałania, lecz czynna i aktywna Nicość (...)
But here's the third order: Machine! Do Nothing!
Machine did not move at all for a long time. Klapaucjusz began rubbing his hands with satisfaction, but Trurl said:
- What do you mean? You told her not to do anything, so she is not doing anything!
- Not true. I told her to do Nothing, and that is something else.
- Something too! To do Nothing and nothing to do - are the same thing.
- Not at all! She supposed to do Nothing, and yet she has not done anything, so I won. Nothing in fact, my buddy smart alec, is not such a mere nothing, a product of laziness and non-activity, but it is open and active Nothingness, it is the perfect, the ubiquitous and the highest Nonbeing in its own person!
- Stop bothering the Machine! - cried Trurl, but suddenly a bronze voice was heard:
- Stop arguing in such a moment! I know what is Nonbeing, Nothingness, which is Nothing, because these things belong to the key letter n, as being Non-existent. You better take a look at the world for the last time, because soon it will not exist ...
The constructors froze, forgetting their quarrel, for the machine was in actual fact doing Nothing, and it did it in this fashion: one by one, various things were removed from the world, and the things, thus removed, ceased to exist, as if they never had been. The machine had already disposed of nolars, nightzebs, nocs, necs, nallyrakers, neotremes, and nonmalrigers. At moments, though, it seemed that instead of reducing, diminishing and subtracting, the machine was increasing, enhancing, and adding, since it liquidated in turn: nonconformists, nonentities, nonsense, nonsupport, neaarsightedness, narrow-mindedness, naughtiness, neglect, nausea, and nepotism. But after a while the world very definitely begin to thin out around Trurl and Klapaucjusz.
- Rendered by Michael Kandel