I used to drink non-pasteurised milk tout au long de my childhood and adolescence, so I know what you are talking about.
Indeed. In the developing world people often have little choice. A shame when people risk theirs or their children's lives by doing it when there are better alternatives.
In Poland, although dairy products are generally of poorer quality than most Brits are used to, the milk in most shops is at least treated to prevent infection.
Worth a read if anyone's thinking about buying unpasteurised milk in this day and age:
Raw or unpasteurised milk is milk that comes directly from a cow's, goat's, sheep or other animal's udder, and has not been treated to kill bacteria... Consuming raw milk can cause severe illness due to the possible presence of harmful bacteria such as Salmonella, E. coli O157, Campylobacter and Listeria monocytogenes. Pregnant women, children, the elderly, and people with weakened immune systems are at greatest risk of getting sick and the consequences for them can be more severe....
Pathogenic bacteria can pass into milk directly from an infected udder or milk can get contaminated from the dairy farm environment during milking e.g. from unseen faecal contamination of the teat...