Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / USA, Canada  % width 7

Very unusual situation with my Mexican wife

LegiaNR1 1 | 2  
30 Jan 2009 /  #1
Hello everyone,

I'm in a very peculiar situation concerning my wife. I have dual citizenship US/Polish, my wife is a Mexican national living in the US, she came to the US w/ her family when she was a little girl. They did not enter w/ the proper paperwork, therefore as of now due to the complicated and unresolved immigration problem in the US it is hard for her to get her citizenship. We have been married for about a year now and I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to how I could obtain Polish citizenship for my Mexican wife. I know no visa is required for a under 90 day stay for Mexican citizens, yet I am unaware of laws for a pro-longed stay for Mexican citizens (besides knowing she would have to be married to me 3 years before she could apply for Polish citizenship). Currently I am living in the US but I have a place of residency in Poland, yet I feel ultimately I would like to return to the US via Poland if that would help my wife attain legal US residency. It's hard to even figure out which consulate to attain information from, I'm assuming it would be the Polish consulate in Mexico. Any help is greatly appreciated.
plk123 8 | 4,148  
30 Jan 2009 /  #2
yet I am unaware of laws for a pro-longed stay for Mexican citizens

she's illegal, pure and simple. hire an atty. but be prepared to pay through your nose.
OP LegiaNR1 1 | 2  
30 Jan 2009 /  #3
I was referring to the laws in Poland regarding Mexican nationals, I know the US laws.
plk123 8 | 4,148  
30 Jan 2009 /  #4
consulate/embassy time then.
OP LegiaNR1 1 | 2  
30 Jan 2009 /  #5
If we were to leave from an American airport to Poland on her Mexican passport would there be any trouble? And during the 90 day stay would be able to apply for permanent residency for her?
17 Mar 2009 /  #6
I'm American and my husband is from Poland. I've also lived in Poland for several years. All I know is that your wife cannot enter Poland without a visa, despite being married to you. As you've seen, marriege doesn't garantee anyone legal status. If you want to take your wife to Poland she has to go to Mexico first and obtain a visa. If she leaves the US she may be banned from ever entering the country because of her current status. Before you go to Poland, try to solve your problem here first. It is not easy! I know from experience! I can recommed you a good lawyer: Darren Silver

Right now, leaving the country is the biggest mistake that you can make!
25 Mar 2009 /  #7
Your wife will be able to apply for Polish permanent residency only after 2 years of marriage to a Polish citizen.

Polish atty

Archives - 2005-2009 / USA, Canada / Very unusual situation with my Mexican wifeArchived