Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / UK, Ireland  % width 8

Tax return when leaving the U.K.

aki 3 | 17  
28 Oct 2008 /  #1
I was told that Polish nationals can claim the U.K. income tax (or something) back if they leave the U.K within 2 yrs, is that the case?
30 Oct 2008 /  #2
No its not true. !
30 Oct 2008 /  #3
Believe this like a hole in the head, and get some better advice than from a bigot like this muppet !!!
ShelleyS 14 | 2,893  
30 Oct 2008 /  #4
I think they can recover any over paid tax - above that i dont think so - it wouldn't make sense for the UK to allow people to work here if they could claim all their tax back when they left.
30 Oct 2008 /  #5
Try this [] There is a calculator on the page that can tell you if you are entitled to any tax refund.
OP aki 3 | 17  
4 Nov 2008 /  #6
OK thanks... just was wondering since someone told me that was the case... Aussies for some reason can claim back their tax... but i guess Poles are in EU so might not be the case...
King Sobieski 2 | 716  
4 Nov 2008 /  #7
we can only get back any overtaxed amounts, ie it is like doing a tax return and getting overpaid tax back instead of waiting til the end of financial year.

i dont see how this would be exclusive to aussies though.
taxdoctor - | 1  
18 Jan 2009 /  #8
Hi I came accross this thread while searching google and I thought it might be good to clear it up so you know the way it works!

1, anyone is entitled to a tax refund if they have paid too much tax in a particular tax year.

This doesn't matter whether you are British, Polish, Australian or from Outer Mongolia!

The only two things that are important are how much you earned and how much tax was deducted from you from all jobs in a certain tax year.

2, To make a claim you need to send all your P45's or P60's to the relevant HMRC office along with a covering letter explaining your situation.

If you are leaving the uk for good you will also need to comlete another form called a P85.

If you have any queries just check out our website we can show you how to do it yourself for free or provide a service for a fee if you wan't us to take away the hassle. There is also a handy tax calculator on our site.

However you choose to reclaim it just make sure you do!

The taxman's got enough cash!


Archives - 2005-2009 / UK, Ireland / Tax return when leaving the U.K.Archived