Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Food  % width 6

What are these two cakes called in Polish?

1 Aug 2006 /  #1
I am trying to make sure my girlfriend picks-up the right cakes from our local polish deli can you please help me with what these cakes our called. I always see them in just about any Chicago Polish Deli:

1) This first one has a flaky crust on the top and botom and has like an apple/ slightly custard like inside. I would call it like a cake but others may call it a pastry.

2) The second one is a poppy seed style cheese cake. I don't think any other explanation is needed, no? I think this is one of the most popular cheese cakes from the deli's, no?

So who ever reads this today please respond with any information, becuase I want to bring these to my Polish friends house, becuase I am going there for dinner and I want to bring something.

bolo 2 | 304  
1 Aug 2006 /  #2
The first one is: Makowiec. The second one: Serniko-Makowiec (normally it would be called: Makowiec or Makownik, but since you want some cheese on it I'd call it: Serniko-Makowiec or Makowiec z serem).
1 Aug 2006 /  #3
How can the first one be Makowiec if it does not contain poppy?!
No1 is not an apple pie, is it?

No2 looks like Serniko-Makowiec, but what do you know: here in Warsaw I've seen it called Duet
OP mfleis1  
1 Aug 2006 /  #4
OK , my polish friend called me back and he says that it is this

Sernik z Makiem = cheesecake with poppy seed

Placek z jablkiem i budyniem = apple with custard

dobrze, nie?
gosica 1 | 33  
1 Aug 2006 /  #5
dobrze, nie?

I'd say dobrze! :)
bolo 2 | 304  
1 Aug 2006 /  #6
How can the first one be Makowiec if it does not contain poppy?!

Yeah, I was thinking something else and wrote something else :)>

Archives - 2005-2009 / Food / What are these two cakes called in Polish?Archived