The BEST Guide to POLAND
Unanswered  |  Archives 
User: Guest

Home / USA, Canada  % width posts: 4

Obtain Polish Citizenship in US

silk55 1 | -
24 Jul 2018 #1
New to the forum. I read most of the threads about obtaining Polish citizenship. My situation is a little different. I was born in Poland and immigrated to the US at 5 yrs old in the 80's. Even though I know how to speak Polish I don't read and write in Polish. From all the reading that I have done it's a pain to apply for Polish citizenship. Is there a US based company or law firm that I could pay to obtain my Polish citizenship? Also what are the cost associated?
Rich Mazur 4 | 3,159
24 Jul 2018 #2
Your cost will be high if you have to travel to the nearest consulate. I am in the same situation and I had to go the consulate in Chicago many times. They demanded that I bring my wife, too.

By birth you are already a Polish citizen. What you need is a confirmation from Poland that you are before you can start the process here. That's step 1. Step 2 is getting the birth certificate from Poland. It has to be a new one. They rejected my original bc at the Chicago consulate. If you are married, you will have to register your US marriage in Poland and obtain a certificate. That's step 3. Once you have those three documents, you have to apply for a PESEL number. That's Step 4. Step 5 is applying for the Polish passport. Mercifully, Steps 4 and 5 can be done at the same time. I just did it yesterday. You will need two photos without glasses. The cost for whole thing is about $400.

Since I live close to the Chicago consulate, I opted to go there in person. I am not sure if my physical presence was necessary for each step. The problem is that they don't take phone calls. I would try to get in contact by email to find out the specifics.
Dirk diggler 9 | 4,661
24 Jul 2018 #3

I know a good lawyer in Krakow that handles this. Very nice lady and very reasonable pricing. Doubt shed charge you more than 500 to 1k. Pm me and I'll reply eith her contact info.
Rich Mazur 4 | 3,159
24 Jul 2018 #4
If you are married, you will need to get an Apostille of your US marriage certificate. You can get it only in the US in the county where you were married and will cost you $15. Then it has to be translated into Polish at the consulate - another 85 bucks - and sent to Poland by the consulate. This step will take 2 to 3 months. The Polish registration will be delivered to your home address via the consulate.

Home / USA, Canada / Obtain Polish Citizenship in US
BoldItalic [quote]
To post as Guest, enter a temporary username or login and post as a member.