This is how I do public transit in Warsaw. I don't speak or understand polish.
1. Go to ztm.waw.pl/mapa/mapa_4.htm and print a full colour A3 sized copy on your works' over sized colour laser printer.
2. Go to ztm.waw.pl/mapa/mapa_5.htm and print a full colour A3 sized copy on your works' over sized colour laser printer.
3. Write this, "Prosze Bilet Dobowy miejski normalny" on a piece of paper. It means, "Normal priced all-day pass for city transit please.".
4. Find a Ruch Kiosk. They are green, found on sidewalks, the size of a bus shelter, have the words Ruch Kiosk on them, and have only 1 hole in 1 wall roughly the size of a cd-case.
5. Pass your note to the person in side along with some money.
6. You should receive a document identical to the one I have posted. It's okay if you don't get your piece of paper back because you now have a example of what you want. Tomorrow you can just hold up your little ticket and point at it as you hand the man money.
7. Use your maps to find your route and wait for a bus, tram or metro. The route number is clearly marked on them.
8. When you get on, there is a yellow box the size of a toaster at every entrance. Put your ticket it, the machine will suck it in, make a printing noise, beep, then return it. Put it in your wallet and leave it there for the next 24 hours. Ride the city transit to your heart's content.