Return PolishForums LIVE
  PolishForums Archive :
Archives - 2005-2009 / Life  % width 57

Can you keep a right hand drive car in Poland?

crasyman77 11 | 37  
27 Oct 2007 /  #1
Does anyone know if you can keep a right hand drive in Poland, register it in Poland, do they do MOT tests for cars yearly in Poland? I heard you canot register a right hand drive car in Poland is it true? can you help me please
wildrover 98 | 4,451  
27 Oct 2007 /  #2
canot register a right hand drive car in Poland

Everybody tells me the same..Unless its left hand drive you cannot register it in Poland..However i have been using my right hand drive UK registered cars in Poland for two years , and never had a problem.......My insurance etc is from UK , and covers me to drive in Poland......If you are planning on living in Poland it might be better to sell your car back home , and buy a left hand drive one......Left hand drive cars are usually cheaper in UK , so you can get a bargain......Yes they do have a yearly insprction of Polish registered cars which you must pass to get it taxed..Its not as strict as UK , and often they will pass it with faults they just tell you to get them fixed before the next inspection........Hope this helps........
OP crasyman77 11 | 37  
27 Oct 2007 /  #3
I have seen cars here in Szczecin that are right hand drive and with polish number plates. I already live her ein Szczecin for one year, I was thinking of buying a right hand drive car from here they are cheaper. I also thought of getting my car from Malta i do not realy know, but i think cars here in Poland are quite cheap second hand. what do you suggest? I tried to ask at authorities but they are not help full
wildrover 98 | 4,451  
27 Oct 2007 /  #4
I too have seen right hand drive cars with Polish registration , but i don,t know how they did this....Everyone i ask says you can,t register a right hand drive car in Poland , but obvously some people have found a way to do it......If you are wanting a big engine car the UK is the chespest place to get one....You can buy a nice Audi , merc , or bmw for peanuts in Uk , especially if it has no tax or mot , Once its on the ferry you don,t need this anyway....One of the advantages over in Poland is that a right hand drive is less likely to get stolen , and nobody in Poland seems intersted if its taxed or mot,d.....Whenever i get stopped by Police they only want to see my Passport and vehicle log book......Only once did i ever get asked for my licence.......A polish friend of mine makes a living buying cheap cars in UK , and driving em to Poland to sell....He can sell the engine only in Poland for the price he bought the whole car in UK.....Try to get a car thats converted to lpg tho , its much cheaper than petrol......
bens - | 1  
28 Oct 2007 /  #5
I had a RHD (right hand drive) van which I tried to register here, and spent a long time finding out about it. Nowadays you can not register a RHD vehicle in Poland. A few years ago it was possible if you could demonstrate that you had experience of driving them in Poland. I guess any that you see with Polish registrations must have been done a few years ago.

I understand why they have this rule, but it is very frustrating given that Polish people are allowed to register LHD vehicles in the UK without any problem.

As a result I had to sell my van, as I don't drive back to the UK often enough to get an MOT (insurance and tax I did online).
OP crasyman77 11 | 37  
28 Oct 2007 /  #6
i realise you can buy a cheap car in UK but then i will have to register it here since i live here, and if not i will have to register it back in Malta which only to register it will cost me around 10,000 GBP maltese governemnt is crasy. I thought to buy a BMW 3 series here of around 1994 at least i can go around with it as i am trying to finda good job here then i see in future. what are our suggestions. They told me evenin germany they are cheap but till now i found nothing cheap. does anyone know where i can look for a good cheap car. I would realy appreciate your help my friends sometime i feel like going cray here no one know anything these people it seems they live in a world of there own, i cant understand it
dnz 17 | 710  
10 Mar 2008 /  #7
Sorry about resurecting an old thread, Does anyone know of an insurance company who will insure a rhd car to drive in Poland, I'm having terrible problems insuring mine as My Uk insurer will only provide full cover for 2 months. I don't want an lhd car as my current vehicle isn't available in lhd and I drive in the UK a lot too,
benszymanski 8 | 465  
27 Mar 2008 /  #8
do you care about fully comp insurance or fire and theft? If not then your UK insurer already covers you for the legally required minimum of 3rd party only. All insurance bought in the EU is valid for the legal minimum in all other EU countries.
27 Mar 2008 /  #9
Yes I'm insured through Axa - they have a European insurance. I used a specialist insurance broker to sort it out - let me know if you need the details and I can PM them to you. BTW your insurance isn't valid if the car doesn't have an MOT - I have to drive back to the UK every year to get one. Also, you need to pay the road tax (I checked this with the DVLA)!
benszymanski 8 | 465  
27 Mar 2008 /  #10
Yeah I wasn't prepared to keep driving back for the MOT so I sold my UK vehicle and bought a Polish one.
Interesting point about the tax. I guess if you don't pay you will get the instant fine, and if you declare the vehicle off-road you would get in trouble when you come off the ferry.

But if you can send me the details I will put them on my blog as i have lots of articles about this sort of stuff.

Graham Appleton - | 1  
30 Mar 2008 /  #11
Hi i was reading your massage .i have a car transporter of my own .i go close to the polish border each week .i am looking for people in poland to buy british cars i can find them and deliver them if you know somethin can you contact me by email grahamapp@hotmail kind regards Graham
1 Apr 2008 /  #12
Having gone through all this, including speaking to all kinds of people (including to the local Euro MP!!), I can say with certainty that the best thing to do is sell your RHD car in the UK and buy a car in Poland.
27 Jul 2008 /  #13
I have a RHD 1999 Mercedes V230 I am trying to sell. I am based in Koln, Germany, and interested in the possibility of selling it to someone in Poland for conversion. I know that the V230 being a bit more comercial based, is relatively easy to convert and that you can get the dashboard etc from the scrap yards in poland...In UK i would want about 3500.00 Germany they are selling for around 7000-11000EUR...but I think people are not into converting RHD to LHD here...but in Poland its very popular, does anyone have any contacts of people that buy UK RHD cars for Poland?
17 Aug 2008 /  #14
I am thinking about brining my car from Australia. If I maintain registration in AUS will a company in PL insure it? I need full cover. Perhaps you someone can point me in the right direction or pass some contact details of an insurance agent?

Much appreciated
benszymanski 8 | 465  
17 Aug 2008 /  #15
Not sure how that would work - are you going to take the vehicle back to Oz every year for your technical inspection? Or do you not need one?
17 Aug 2008 /  #16

In AUS there is no need to do yearly inspections. The car is registered once and the registration fee must be paid annually. That is it. I appreciate your help.

Wroclaw Boy  
17 Aug 2008 /  #17
So you can drive an old clapped out van with knackered breaks, leaking fuel, and no headlights for as long as it drives then.
benszymanski 8 | 465  
17 Aug 2008 /  #18
In AUS there is no need to do yearly inspections. The car is registered once and the registration fee must be paid annually. That is it. I appreciate your help.

When I was living in Oz I remember I had to return to the state from where my car was registered in order to do the annual inspection. Can't remember if that was NSW or Queensland though. Is there really no inspection Australia wide or is it different state by state?
17 Aug 2008 /  #19
I live in Melbourne. I can say for certain that I have not had to do any annual inspections. I always had new or reasonably new cars so not sure whether that has any effect on this. I have had my current car for 2 yrs now and all I have to do is pay the registration renewal once a year when I get it in the mail. I want to bring my car over to PL as I am working from there (although currently in AUS). I have also been told that the car being RHD cannot be registered in PL but I dont think there is any law stopping me having it registered in AUS. I just need insurance sorted out.

Thanks for all your help.

dnz 17 | 710  
17 Aug 2008 /  #20
It could be easier to UK register if you can't find insurance.
17 Aug 2008 /  #21
I will add that on first registration, the car must be in a roadworthy condition and this is not a problem for new cars. For old cars, upon registration, need to provide a Roadworthy Certificate. However after that there are no annual fees. It is each owner's responsibility to maintain the car in a roadworthy condition. If it is, as stated by Wroclaw Boy, driving without headlights or exhaust emissions are not proper, cops simply pull you over, give you a yellow slip and the car must be fixed before the Roads Authority will allow it back on the road. In either event, I would be grateful for some information as to how to obtain full comprehensive insurance in my situation in PL.


I have an option of registering the car in IRE or UK as I have friends there who I am sure will help out. Do I need to register (zameldowanie) in UK in order to register there?
dnz 17 | 710  
17 Aug 2008 /  #22
No not at all, If the car is less than 10 years old it must have an SVA test. svauk for more info. The car then needs an MOT (safety check) and it need to be insured. You will have to insure it for the time being on its Chassis number until you have a reg. Once you have the MOT, SVA (if required) and an insurance covernote you need to send the new registration forms to the DVLA office and after 3-4 days youre car is issued with a UK registration number and all done!,

I used to import vehicles from Japan to the UK for a living so if you need any help please feel free to ask.

most of the info is on dvla.

What vehicle is it by the way?
18 Aug 2008 /  #23
Thanks for the info. Its a Nissan 350z. Can you give me an indication of registration costs, including the inspections you mention?? Also, do you have an idea how much full comprehensive insurance cover would be?

benszymanski 8 | 465  
18 Aug 2008 /  #24
Yeah the UK route could be the least hassle. But once the vehicle is over 3 years old you will have to return to the UK each year for a new vehicle inspection. Also fully comp insurance to cover you in Poland will not be cheap. UK insurance is outrageously expensive plus most policies only give you 90 days of fully comp cover outside the UK per year. Inkrakow has some contacts I believe.
dnz 17 | 710  
18 Aug 2008 /  #25
I guess its less than 10 years old so an SVA should be no more than £300, registration £25, MOT £45 and it will need taxing which i'm not sure about as it goes on emissions. I insured my car through a company called stuart collins who can provide comprehensive insurance with 12 months cover outside the UK, the cost is dependent on age but Insurance isn't too bad,

On the plus side if you wanted to sell the car in the UK if you get bored of it there are some tidy profits to be made.
18 Aug 2008 /  #26
Do I need to somehow prove that I reside in the UK? Utilities bill or something? I assume I need an address in UK to register in UK?
benszymanski 8 | 465  
18 Aug 2008 /  #27
No, no proof of address required. There's no zemeldowanie or anything like that in the UK :-) Yes you just need to use a UK address.

If you register the car with the registered keeper as a company then you can even use a post box address.
dnz 17 | 710  
18 Aug 2008 /  #28
I keep mine registered at my companies registered office which I have never actually been to.

If you don't have a permanent address, £45 and you can register a LTD liabilty company which will give you a registered address.
18 Aug 2008 /  #29
Excellent. Thanks for the information. Very useful. Can I register the company online? I know in Aus this is possible.

benszymanski 8 | 465  
19 Aug 2008 /  #30
If not online then certainly by post. Don't know exactly because my accountant did everything for me. But be aware that if you are the director of a limited company you may also have to file an annual accounts return for the company even if it just a zero each year to Companies House.

Archives - 2005-2009 / Life / Can you keep a right hand drive car in Poland?Archived